Delayed Email Notifications: An Issue with PF or My Email?

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about email notifications for replies to forum posts. The first person is experiencing delays and confusion with the timing of the notifications. The second person suggests using the "My PF" link to keep track of subscribed threads. Another person shares their own experience with delayed and out of order email notifications. Lastly, someone mentions using the subscribed threads page to stay updated.
~christina~
Gold Member
Is it just my e-mail or the system?
I posted a question today in the morning, and I was waiting for someone to help out with the problem. I kept my yahoo page open and checked my email every 2 hours...yeah, I really needed a response. I didn't see anything in my email box till 4:43. This was not an issue. until I went to check out the thread after the notification. The surprising thing was that 3 people had replied to my post, but the email notification of the response to my post was from the first helper at 2:43 not 4:43. The last person to help me out had posted at 4:30. :eek:

What is going on with this? :confused:
Is it PF? I used to check my email so I didn't have to keep coming back to the posts when I asked physics questions, and it was working lightning fast, back then.

Just curious. I'll have to go back to the thread everytime, instead of going to the email box.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't comment on the e-mail delays, but if you don't want to keep going back to your threads to check for replies, you can click on the My PF link at the top of the page. This will then display a list of all your subscribed threads that have been replied to since you last read them.

Hi christina! :smile:

I get the same problem once every few weeks (my email is Mail 2.1.3 on an iMac).

I get no notifications for two hours or more, and then a lot come through together.

Yesterday, I kept hearing a ping! that tells me an email has arrived, but when I looked there was nothing, not even in the Trash or other folders. The emails eventually arrived about 2 hours later.

So yesterday it looks as if my software was reading my emails first, and then forgetting to pass them on. :frown:

(though on previous occasions, I heard no ping!, so I was more inclined to blame the PF server :rolleyes:)

Suggestion: if you have IE, you can bookmark your thread, and subscribe to it, and IE will check for updates and notify you. :smile:

not only do they arrive late but they sometimes arrive in the wrong order.

tiny-tim said:
I kept hearing a ping!

Wow, you have machine that goes "ping"?

IMHO there are so many servers between PF and your mail server that such things may (and will) occasionally happen. Internet is a thing that lives its own life. We should prepare torches and pitchforks to be ready, just in case it breaks free.

Dive! Dive!

Borek said:
Wow, you have machine that goes "ping"?

Hi Borek! :smile:

It'll also go Basso Blow Bottle Frog Funk Glass Hero Morse Pop Purr Sosumi Submarine or Tink, if I tell it to! :biggrin:

(though I find Submarine rather worrying … in my position! :redface:)

The My PF main page in my opinion is the best way to keep track of threads if you need to be notified swiftly of any reply. All that requires is that you keep the page open in a browser and refresh it every now and then. Same goes for the subscribed threads page.

1. Why is there a delay in receiving email notifications?

There can be a variety of reasons for a delay in receiving email notifications. One common reason is network congestion, where the volume of emails being sent and received overwhelms the network's capacity. Another possible cause is technical issues with the email server or the recipient's email provider. Additionally, spam filters or email rules set up by the recipient can also contribute to delays in receiving notifications.

2. How long can I expect to wait for email notifications?

The length of time for an email notification to be delivered can vary depending on the specific circumstances. In most cases, emails are delivered within a few seconds to a few minutes. However, delays can occur, and in some rare cases, emails may take hours or even days to be received. It's also important to note that the sender's email server and the recipient's email provider can both impact the delivery time.

3. Can I speed up the process of receiving email notifications?

Unfortunately, as a recipient, there is not much you can do to speed up the process of receiving email notifications. However, as a sender, you can optimize your email settings and ensure that your emails are being sent from a reputable and reliable email server. This can help to minimize delays in email delivery. Additionally, regularly checking your spam folder and adjusting your email filters can also help to ensure that important notifications are not being blocked.

4. Are there any steps I can take to prevent email notification delays?

While you cannot completely eliminate the possibility of email notification delays, there are some steps you can take to help minimize them. First, make sure that your internet connection is stable and strong. Next, regularly check and clean out your inbox to prevent it from becoming overwhelmed. You can also consider using an email provider with a higher delivery rate and reputation. Lastly, avoid sending large attachments or multiple emails in a short period, as this can contribute to network congestion and delays.

5. How can I tell if my email notification is delayed?

The easiest way to tell if your email notification is delayed is to check the timestamp on the email. If the email was sent hours or even days ago but has just been received, it is likely that there was a delay. Another way to check is to ask the sender if they have received a notification that the email was sent. If they have, but you have not received it, then there is likely a delay in the delivery process.