NAD+ / NADH Question: Absorption peaks and spectra

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in absorbance spectra of NAD+ and NADH, and the possible causes for the discrepancy. It is noted that the peaks in the spectra correspond to multiple transitions in the molecules, making it difficult to assign them clearly. The peaks at 260 nm and 340 nm are attributed to specific transitions in the molecules, with the NAD+ having an additional peak at a deeper wavelength.
Jake578
Hi guys,

Im new here so I am going to get right to it. Excuse my grammer I am on my mobile.

So I am trying to understand the difference in absorbance spectra of NAD+ and NADH. I have seen this touched on on this site but not directly answered.

NAD+, with an apparent two aromatic structures, produces one spectral peak.

NADH, with an apparent singular aromatic structures, produces two spectral peaks.

Now I believe for abs. a molecule must have aromatic structures... I have a feeling perhaps resonance structures in both molecules are causing the number of spectra not to match the number of aromatic structures?

What are your thoughts?

Jake

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Bump

Each of the broad peaks you see in the spectrum (UVVis for sure) correspond to dozens of different transitions in the molecules this becomes apparent once you look at carefully taken spectra at the temperature of liquid nitrogen and there is not only one aromatic molecule present but several, so that a detailed assignment isn't possible.
My best guess is that the second bump in NAD+ is due to a charge transfer transition involving the N+.

The peak at 260 nm in both spectra is the adenine ##\pi\to\pi^*## transition. The NAD+ does have a second peak for the aromatic pyridine ring ##\pi\to\pi^*## transition, but it's deeper in the UV (I think around 220 nm or so). The peak at 340 nm that appears in the NADH is (if I recall correctly), usually assigned to the ##n\to\pi^*## transition of the conjugated ketone/alkene structure (cf. the broad resonance at around 340 nm in acrolein: http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=C107028&Mask=400#UV-Vis-Spec).

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara and Ygggdrasil

1. What is NAD+ and NADH?

NAD+ (Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide) and NADH (Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide) are coenzymes involved in cellular metabolism. They play a crucial role in energy production and are essential for many biological processes.

2. How is NAD+ and NADH measured?

NAD+ and NADH levels can be measured using a variety of techniques, including spectrophotometry, fluorometry, and high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). These methods involve extracting the coenzymes from cells or tissues and quantifying them using specific assays or equipment.

3. What are the absorption peaks of NAD+ and NADH?

The absorption peaks of NAD+ and NADH are at 259 nm and 340 nm, respectively. These peaks correspond to the wavelengths at which the coenzymes absorb the most light. This absorption can be measured using spectrophotometry to determine the concentration of NAD+ and NADH in a sample.

4. How does the absorption spectrum of NAD+ and NADH differ?

The absorption spectrum of NAD+ and NADH differs due to the different chemical structures of the two coenzymes. NADH has an additional hydrogen atom compared to NAD+, which causes a shift in its absorption peak to a longer wavelength. This difference in absorption spectra is used to distinguish between NAD+ and NADH in various biochemical assays.

5. What factors affect the absorption spectra of NAD+ and NADH?

The absorption spectra of NAD+ and NADH can be affected by several factors, including pH, temperature, and the presence of other molecules. Changes in these factors can alter the chemical structure of the coenzymes, resulting in shifts in their absorption peaks. This is why it is essential to carefully control experimental conditions when measuring NAD+ and NADH levels.