Natural numbers distributive lattice

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a proof that the set of natural numbers with the relationship of divisibility forms a distributive lattice with gcd as AND and lcm as OR. The speaker suggests using a general lattice property to prove this, and asks for assistance with the second part of the proof. They also inquire about alternative methods of proving this concept. The answer provided includes a link to a math forum where the question is discussed and a solution is provided.
Xael
I need a proof that the set of natural numbers with the the relationship of divisibility form a distributive lattice with gcd as AND and lcm as OR.

I know it can be shown that a AND (b OR c) >= (a AND b) OR (a AND c) for a general lattice, and that if we can show the opposite, that a AND (b OR c) <= (a AND b) OR (a AND c) that implies the two are equal. How do I prove this second part? I am not experienced with number theory, and I have struggled to get a meaningful expression of gcd's and lcm's.

Alternatively, is there a different way you can show me how to prove this?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Natural numbers distributive lattice

1. What are natural numbers?

Natural numbers are the counting numbers, starting from 1 and continuing infinitely. They do not include negative numbers or fractions.

2. What is a distributive lattice?

A distributive lattice is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and two binary operations, typically denoted as "∧" (meet) and "∨" (join). These operations satisfy the distributive law, which states that a ∧ (b ∨ c) = (a ∧ b) ∨ (a ∧ c).

3. How are natural numbers related to distributive lattices?

Natural numbers can form a distributive lattice when the operations ∧ and ∨ are defined as the minimum and maximum operations, respectively. This means that the meet of two natural numbers is the smaller of the two numbers, and the join is the larger of the two numbers.

4. What are the properties of a natural numbers distributive lattice?

A natural numbers distributive lattice has the following properties: it is commutative, associative, and idempotent for both the ∧ and ∨ operations, it satisfies the distributive law, and it has a unique minimum and maximum element (0 and ∞, respectively).

5. How can natural numbers distributive lattices be used in scientific research?

Natural numbers distributive lattices can be used in various fields of science, such as computer science, logic, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in the study of Boolean algebras, which have applications in computer programming and circuit design. They can also be used to model and analyze logical propositions and set operations.