Navier-Stokes equations with temperature term

Finally, for the mass conversion equation, we can write:ρ(u∂C/∂r + w∂C/∂z)ΔV = D(∂^2C/∂r^2 + ∂^2C/∂z^2)ΔVwhere D is the diffusion coefficient.In summary, we can see that the first equation is indeed the Navier-Stokes equation, with the addition of the thermal term in the momentum balance equation. The thermal term is represented by the second term on the right-hand side, which takes into account the effects of temperature on the velocity of the fluid. By following a systematic approach and considering the mass,
Zalajbeg

Homework Statement

C dimensionless solute concentration
C0 constant
Grc solutal Grashof number
Grh thermal Grashof number
Le Lewis number
N buoyancy ratio N = Grc/Grh
Pr Prandtl number
r dimensionless radial coordinate
t dimensionless time coordinate
z dimensionless axial coordinate
θ dimensionless temperature
w dimensionless stream function
x dimensionless vorticity

The governing axisymmetric equations for the Newtonian
and laminar binary fluid neglecting heat generation,
viscous dissipation, chemical reaction and thermal radiation
can be expressed as:

Homework Equations

http://postimage.org/image/4gv0vv657/

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a part from an article from R. Cai and C. Gou. My firs assignment is to start with a differential small element and derive this equations. I think first one is a kind of Navier-Stokes equation, the second one is to define worticity the third one is energy equation and the last one is the mass conversion equation.

I could obtain the last two equations but I cannot do the same for the first equation. Is it really Navier-Stokes equation? If so, how can I add the thermal term. I can just obtain inertial and viscous parts but thermal term. May be it is a part of pressure gradient but I couldn't do anything at all. Could someone possibly give me a hint about the thermal term?

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to approach problems in a systematic and logical manner. In this case, we are dealing with axisymmetric equations for a binary fluid, neglecting various factors such as heat generation, viscous dissipation, chemical reaction, and thermal radiation. Our goal is to derive these equations from a differential small element.

First, let's define the variables and parameters given in the problem. C is the dimensionless solute concentration, C0 is a constant, Grc is the solutal Grashof number, Grh is the thermal Grashof number, Le is the Lewis number, N is the buoyancy ratio, Pr is the Prandtl number, r, t, and z are dimensionless coordinates, θ is the dimensionless temperature, w is the dimensionless stream function, and x is the dimensionless vorticity.

Now, let's consider a small differential element in the fluid. This element has a volume of ΔV, a surface area of ΔS, and is located at a distance r from the origin. The fluid within this element has a velocity of u and a temperature of T. The concentration of the solute within this element is C.

Using the principle of conservation of mass, we can write the mass balance equation for this element as:

∂(ρCΔV)/∂t + ∂(ρuΔS)/∂z = 0

where ρ is the density of the fluid.

Next, using the Navier-Stokes equations for an incompressible fluid, we can write the momentum balance equation for this element as:

ρ(u∂u/∂r + w∂u/∂z)ΔV = -∂pΔS + ρgNΔV + μ(∂^2u/∂r^2 + ∂^2u/∂z^2)ΔV

where p is the pressure, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and μ is the dynamic viscosity of the fluid.

For the energy balance equation, we can write:

ρCp(u∂T/∂r + w∂T/∂z)ΔV = k(∂^2T/∂r^2 + ∂^2T/∂z^2)ΔV

where Cp is the specific heat at constant pressure and

Related to Navier-Stokes equations with temperature term

What are the Navier-Stokes equations with temperature term?

The Navier-Stokes equations with temperature term are a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of a fluid under the influence of both viscous forces and thermal effects. They are commonly used in fluid mechanics and are essential in understanding a variety of physical phenomena such as fluid flow, heat transfer, and turbulence.

What is the significance of the temperature term in the Navier-Stokes equations?

The temperature term in the Navier-Stokes equations takes into account the effects of thermal energy on the fluid flow. It accounts for the changes in density and viscosity of the fluid due to temperature variations, which are important factors in many fluid flow problems.

How are the Navier-Stokes equations with temperature term solved?

There is no general analytical solution for the Navier-Stokes equations with temperature term, and they are usually solved numerically using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) techniques. These methods involve discretizing the equations and solving them iteratively using computer algorithms.

What are the applications of the Navier-Stokes equations with temperature term?

The Navier-Stokes equations with temperature term have a wide range of applications in various fields, including aerospace engineering, meteorology, oceanography, and chemical engineering. They are used to study the behavior of fluids in different environments, such as aircraft wings, ocean currents, and chemical reactors.

Are there any limitations to the Navier-Stokes equations with temperature term?

While the Navier-Stokes equations with temperature term are widely used and have been successful in many applications, they do have some limitations. These include the assumptions and simplifications made in their derivation, as well as the challenges in solving them numerically for complex fluid flow problems.