NCAA basketball: who are you rooting for?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basketball
In summary: Fifteen people were arrested for offenses such as resisting arrest, destruction of property, and assault.
Games start today. I've got my Milwaukee Panthers and Wisconsin Badgers in the tournament. Feeling pretty excited. I love this time of year! Anyone else watching and rooting?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm rooting for whoever I picked in the bracket thing for me to win 500 million dollars. I don't watch sports, so if I get them right, it'll be pure luck.

I'm pulling for Michigan, as usual. Go Blue! Tonight they're playing the same small college (Wofford) that gave Wisconsin a bit of a scare a few years ago.

jtbell said:
I'm pulling for Michigan, as usual. Go Blue! Tonight they're playing the same small college (Wofford) that gave Wisconsin a bit of a scare a few years ago.

Outside of conference play, I always root for Big Ten! :)

Well there are 10 team in the Big Twelve. Rock Chalk, Jayhawk go KU.

I'm waiting to hear this in the tournament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4TyQTJIa3Y

Greg Bernhardt said:
Outside of conference play, I always root for Big Ten! :)

After Michigan, I go with Ohio State, then any other Big Ten schools that are still standing.

dlgoff said:
Well there are 10 team in the Big Twelve.

And 12 teams in the Big Ten. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately that pleasing symmetry will end this fall when Rutgers and Maryland join the Big Ten.

Living in Tucson I go with the University of Arizona Wildcats. These guys are capable of winning it all. That doesn't mean that they will. For some reason they have hot and cold streaks that they should not be having at this point.

The team has a great defense, but a lousy record on free throws.

The kid, Sean Miller, in the video below is now the AZ coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Ohio State got knocked out already! At least it was by another team from Ohio (Dayton).

Not that there ever was any doubt but Buffett will hang on to his billion dollars. There are already no perfect brackets remaining in his contest.

WTF. I'm watching Stanford showing Kansas how it's done. Come on Hawks. :mad:

dlgoff said:
WTF. I'm watching Stanford showing Kansas how it's done. Come on Hawks. :mad:
"Rock Chalk" Cardinals. :cry:

Stanford 60, Kansas 57

There's always next year. Beer time.

My favorite (UK-centric) description of basketball: It's like water polo, but without the water.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Anyone else watching and rooting?
:bugeye:

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

You realize that's a very American expression, right?
(It means something rather different in certain other cultures.)

Greg Bernhardt said:
You must be from "stralia" :)
Huh? No, that's in a different fibre of the multiverse -- a mythical(?) place where (apparently) women blow and men chunder.
Best avoided.

Beware the PAC 12 :eek: and possibly Dayton.

Borg said:
Not that there ever was any doubt but Buffett will hang on to his billion dollars. There are already no perfect brackets remaining in his contest.
For some reason, I missed your post Borg. The Buffett prize, which I knew nothing of, came up among guest at a little basketball game viewing get-to-gether. Luckily there's Sensory Memory (must be longer than just a few seconds IMO) and knew just where too look.

Sensory memory holds sensory information for a few seconds or less after an item is perceived. The ability to look at an item, and remember what it looked like with just a second of observation, or memorisation, is an example of sensory memory. It is out of cognitive control and is an automatic response. With very short presentations, participants often report that they seem to "see" more than they can actually report.

I've seen enough unlikely upsets to never rule anyone out, so I'm still rooting for Duke.

Tobias Funke said:
I'm still rooting for Duke.

That would be a resuscitation from the dead, unless you've got a time machine handy...

jtbell said:
That would be a resuscitation from the dead, unless you've got a time machine handy...

Well that's the joke (if you're generous and call it that). I don't think they're actually dead though; that would be an exciting tournament!

I do know the sure way to win is to root for the team that passes the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds and then shoots a three because the line is too close to make twos worthwhile. Unfortunately that description applies to more and more NBA teams each year.

Arrested for resisting arrest? That reminds me of my grandmother spanking me, me crying, and then her spanking me again to "give you something to cry about."

leroyjenkens said:
Arrested for resisting arrest? That reminds me of my grandmother spanking me, me crying, and then her spanking me again to "give you something to cry about."

Luckily for most of the country that type of thing only happens in Tucson. When Arizona won the championship back in the 90's we had full blown riots yet most of the arrests were for resisting arrest.:confused:

Greg Bernhardt said:
WI is in the final four baby! yeeeeeeehawwwwww!

By a squeaker, in overtime and with 2.7 seconds to go, AZ missed it's last shot.

Wisconsin 25 29 10 64
Arizona 28 26 9 63

It was nice to see Bo Ryan make his first final four though.

Looks like UCONN is doing a little UK butt kicking. However things could change.

Excellent game. UCONN ... +1

UConn always plays tough in the post season.

How did I miss this? , UCON won the NAACP championship. More at 11:00, or perhaps not.:devil:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Who is your favorite team in NCAA basketball?

As a scientist, I do not have a personal favorite team in NCAA basketball. My focus is on analyzing and understanding the game, rather than rooting for a specific team.

2. Which team do you think will win the NCAA basketball championship?

I cannot accurately predict which team will win the NCAA basketball championship as it depends on various factors such as team performance, injuries, and matchups. My role as a scientist is to observe and analyze the data to make informed conclusions, not make predictions.

3. What do you think of the current state of NCAA basketball?

As a scientist, I do not have personal opinions on the state of NCAA basketball. However, I am constantly studying and analyzing the game to understand its evolution and potential areas for improvement.

4. Do you think there should be a change in the NCAA basketball tournament format?

As a scientist, I do not have a say in the format of the NCAA basketball tournament. My role is to observe and analyze the data to understand the effectiveness of the current format and suggest potential changes based on evidence.

5. How do you think the COVID-19 pandemic has affected NCAA basketball?

The COVID-19 pandemic has greatly impacted NCAA basketball, leading to the cancellation of the 2020 tournament and changes in the current season's schedule. As a scientist, I am studying the effects of the pandemic on the sport and its players to better understand its impact and potential solutions for the future.