Need a name for my new pet spider

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pet
In summary, Hubert Cumberdale lives in my pan cupboard and has been lucky a couple of times when he occupied one of my pans. I nearly drowned him, but he has not made a web. I will let him stay because he is a nice spider. Charlotte suggests naming him Sam.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
He/or she lives in my pan cupboard, he or she is about 2 1/2 inches across with a long fat body, she has been lucky a couple of times when she occupied one of my pans and i nearly drowned her, she hasn't made a web, so as long as she behaves i will let stay put.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rutherford

Jimmy is a nice name.

Charlotte ;)

By the way, how do you sex a spider? i would hate to call it jimmy if it was a female.

Wait till it has babies

Can you post a pic, or provide us with some time of reference to its character? Is your spider the social outgoing type or the strong and silent type?

You could call it Sam. That works for boys and girls.

Spiders are the worst things on the planet.

If you must name it, call it Death.

kill_it_with_fire_RE_Some_funnies-s670x394-151259.jpg

KrisOhn said:
Spiders are the worst things on the planet.

If you must name it, call it Death.

kill_it_with_fire_RE_Some_funnies-s670x394-151259.jpg

If i did that all the spiders would gang up on me and invade my property, and considering how many spiders there are i would drown in them.

Topher925 said:
Can you post a pic, or provide us with some time of reference to its character? Is your spider the social outgoing type or the strong and silent type?

I think its the strong silent type, just like me :biggrin:

I thought with spiders, that generally, if they are larger they are the female.

wolram said:
If i did that all the spiders would gang up on me and invade my property, and considering how many spiders there are i would drown in them.

The mental image of drowning in spiders produces such terror in my mind I can not put it into words.

I was looking at the spider page that Borek linked... Now I'm jumpy and itchy...:mad::eek:

wolram said:
He/or she lives in my pan cupboard, he or she is about 2 1/2 inches across with a long fat body, she has been lucky a couple of times when she occupied one of my pans and i nearly drowned her, she hasn't made a web, so as long as she behaves i will let stay put.

Maybe Spidy Gonzales? [It's a unisex name...=)]

wolram said:
By the way, how do you sex a spider? i would hate to call it jimmy if it was a female.

The females are usually bigger than the males, but that doesn't help much unless you know what species it is.

We used to have a pet spider at work which lived on one of the pillars in the office, called Diogenes for the obvious reason (welll, it's obvious unless you never had a proper Classical education!).

wolram said:
i would hate to call it jimmy if it was a female.
Why? Evo named her hen Roger.

dlgoff said:
Why? Evo named her hen Roger.

Well Evo has been known bless her sole to be a bit cranky:!)

wolram said:
Well Evo has been known bless her sole to be a bit cranky:!)
:biggrin:

There are rules about these things. If you have a white cat, you have to call it whitey and if you have a black cat you have to call it blackie, and if you have a spider, you have to call it spidey. It's in the manual somewhere.

Of course there's a website for that.

http://www.petnames.net/spider-pet-names.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
hahaha call it David Beckham! (someone did on Borg's list)

The spider should be named Boris, after the song by Who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8dSBWysmnM

This is a terrible thread, should be locked and deleted immediately.

KrisOhn said:
This is a terrible thread, should be locked and deleted immediately.

I agree. I'm creeped out.

wolram said:

Hubert Cumberdale, of course.

Shelob?

Evo said:
OMG, that's the spider I caught yesterday! It was too big to kill, so I trapped it and carried it outside.

Too big to kill? I would think it would be too big to trap and take outside!

And just so you spider haters know, I refuse to kill spiders. I actually schedule them for massages at the local spa and play pleasant music to help them get to sleep. I regularly have spider only parties and hook the single spiders up with each other so there will be even MORE spiders in the world! Soon my plan will come to fruition...and it involves Evo. Even though she doesn't know it yet.

Name it KrisOhn.
:devil:

In my family, all spiders are called Jules.

Evo said:
The spider should be named Boris, after the song by Who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8dSBWysmnM

He murdered Boris :cry:

Dembadon said:
Name it KrisOhn.
:devil:

"The spider who once lived in my cupboard, but then I killed." <- This should be its name.

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
Too big to kill? I would think it would be too big to trap and take outside!
I had to use a bowl, a glass would have been too small. I'll post a picture.

And just so you spider haters know, I refuse to kill spiders. I actually schedule them for massages at the local spa and play pleasant music to help them get to sleep. I regularly have spider only parties and hook the single spiders up with each other so there will be even MORE spiders in the world! Soon my plan will come to fruition...and it involves Evo. Even though she doesn't know it yet.
:uhh: :eek:

Attachments

• big spider 1.jpg
    big spider 1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 394
Last edited: