Need ALGEBRA 2 HELP with square roots

In summary, the problem is trying to solve 1/6^x = 36^(x+3), where x is a variable. The problem is solved using logarithm identities and base 6.
amd123

Homework Statement

simplify m^(9*√5)/m^(√5)

The Attempt at a Solution

would that equal m^9 or m^(8*√5)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are confused by your own notation. If you mean the numerator is m^(9*(5)^0.5) and the denominator is m^((5)^(.5)), then the simplification is m^(8*(5)^(.5)). This is your second alternative which you are deciding.

ahhh hold on let me write it again

m ^ (9 X √5) DIVIDED by m ^ (√5) this problem involves properties of exponents and its a multiple choice problem so i know the answer can not be this m^(8*(5)^(.5)).

Also i need help solving this:
1. 5Log 5 65
2. Log (1/3)x = -1
3. 5^((log 5 2x - log 5 (x-3)) = ln e x+4
4. 63n = 435n-4
5. 4 + 3e5x = 27

please anyone?

x^y/x^z = x^(y-z) Dividing two exponents is subtracting their exponents. As for the logarithm problems, you might want to look up the properties of logs and exponents and play around with them.

you didnt even address how to do things with square roots in them and i figured out how to do 4 and 5 :)

I think it's fine to leave the square roots alone, unless you want to give a non-exact value. The second answer in your original post looks right.

right now I am stuck on this problem (1/6)^x = 36^(x+3) if i solve it by making the bases equal to 36 by multiplying 1/6 by -2 i get -2x but then for x i get -3 which obviously would not work, but if i use -2 as x the equation works BUT how do i get -2 from that equation?

and thanks for your help with the first one :) really appreciate it

I don't understand what you mean by making the base equal to 36. What I would do is use logarithms. If a = b, then ln(a) = ln(b). Then you can use the log identities to simplify and solve for x.

amd123 said:
and thanks for your help with the first one :) really appreciate it

No problem.

my alg2 teacher said inorder to solve (1/6)^x = 36^(x+3) you need to make the BASES equal to each other i can easily make 1/6 to 36 by raising it to -2 but then i have to multiply x by -2. How do the log identities work?

amd123 said:
right now I am stuck on this problem (1/6)^x = 36^(x+3) if i solve it by making the bases equal to 36 by multiplying 1/6 by -2 i get -2x but then for x i get -3 which obviously would not work, but if i use -2 as x the equation works BUT how do i get -2 from that equation?

Use the base of 6. On the leftside, you have 6^(-x). On the rightside you have (6^2)^(x+3)=6^(2(x+3))

You then simply have 6^(-x) = 6^(2(x+3))

*Understand the reasoning that lead to that.
*Finish the solution process.

yes symboli but then i get x = -1 and i know that x has to be -2, before when i made both bases equal to 36 i got -3 and that makes 36^0. so how do i get the equation to get me -2 for x?

no i said
if i raise 1/6 to -2 then it equals 36

but doing that and what symboli says only gets me -3 or -1 not -2 :(?!?

If you use what symbolipoint wrote, you get -x = 2(x+3). Then you just solve for x.

Or if you use base 36, then 1/6 = 36^-.5, not -2.

Edit: x = -2 if you use base 6 (doing what symboli says).

lol i just did it and got it this is why i should not use a pen with math :P

now if only i knew how to do this 6^(3n) = 43^(5n-4)

amd123 said:
my alg2 teacher said inorder to solve (1/6)^x = 36^(x+3) you need to make the BASES equal to each other i can easily make 1/6 to 36 by raising it to -2 but then i have to multiply x by -2. How do the log identities work?

You don't need log identities, just the fact that the exponential functions (ax for any positive a) are "one-to-one"

If you change 36 to base 1/6, then you have 36= (1/6)^(-2) so 36^(x+3)= ((1/6)^(-2))(x+3) and so (1/6)^(-2(x+3))= (1/6)^x. Since that function is "one-to-one" (two DIFFERENT values of the exponent can't give the same value), -2(x+3)= x.

I would have been inclined to use 6 as base (just don't like fractions, I guess). Then 1/6= 6^(-1) so (1/6)^x= 6^(-x). 36= 6^2 so 36^(x+3)= 6^(2(x+3)). Now you have 6^(-x)= 6^(2(x+3)). That means -x= 2(x+3). Of course , those two equations have exactly the same solution.

Related to Need ALGEBRA 2 HELP with square roots

1. What is a square root?

A square root is the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5 because 5x5=25.

2. How do I simplify square roots?

To simplify square roots, you need to find the largest perfect square factor of the number inside the square root symbol. Then, you can take the square root of that factor and place it outside the symbol. The remaining number inside the symbol should have no perfect square factors. For example, √48 can be simplified to 4√3.

3. How do I add and subtract square roots?

To add or subtract square roots, you must first make sure that the numbers inside the symbol are the same. If they are not, you can use the method of simplifying square roots to make them the same. Then, you can add or subtract the numbers outside the symbol while keeping the number inside the symbol the same. For example, √18 + 2√18 can be simplified to 3√18.

4. How do I multiply and divide square roots?

To multiply or divide square roots, you can simply multiply or divide the numbers outside the symbol and multiply or divide the numbers inside the symbol. If there are any perfect squares inside the symbol, you can simplify them using the method mentioned in question 2. For example, √12 x √3 can be simplified to 2√3.

5. How do I solve equations involving square roots?

To solve equations with square roots, you need to isolate the square root on one side of the equation and square both sides. This will eliminate the square root and allow you to solve for the variable. However, you must always check your solutions to make sure they satisfy the original equation, as squaring both sides can introduce extraneous solutions. For example, to solve √(x+2)=6, you would square both sides and solve for x, but then you must plug in your solution to make sure it works in the original equation.