Need an automatic way to move files between computers

In summary: Traditional data feeds use a scheduled job and FTP servers and clients. Files usually move to holding area on receiving end overnight. A subsequent scheduled job will grab received file and do something with it. If all machines on intranet together, this could...
nashed
I have a system of 3 PCs all connected to the same router, I need some way to automatically move files from two PCs to the third, how do I even begin to approach this?

Technology news on Phys.org
What do you mean by automatic?

Not at all anything I'd be familiar; but would OneDrive, or DropBox, or GoogleDrive be useful for this?

Google drive could work and would automatically keep all three machines in sync.

A more traditional approach would be to setup a shared drive on one machine allowing the other two to monitor the shared drive with a simple program to copy over files on demand.

Likes Nidum and FactChecker
If you are on Windows:

The Robocopy.exe that comes with Windows can monitor for and copy files. Monitoring can be on a Time basis or Number of Changed files.

Another approach is to write a .BAT (Batch) file that invokes the Xcopy utility with the appropriate options. Then use the Scheduler to periodically invoke the .Batch file.

Likes jedishrfu
Thanks for the replies everyone, here's the deal though, I'm working on a system that would need to sit in a remote location and will contain sensitive enough files that we'd rather have it offline, meaning that google drive and one drive aren't really an option.

A further explanation of the system: I"ll have an X number of PCs (with Windows 10) probably somewhere around 6 or 7, these PCs are operating a Kinect eacj and will receive point clouds from them, I want to send the point clouds to a central PC which will do the processing on them and I need the operation to work automatically.

Likes jedishrfu
Why don't you just share a disk on the "master" PC? See the NET SHARE/NET USE commands. Then have all the PCs write to it. This will work so long as you don't also have a need to duplicate file names.

Likes jedishrfu and FactChecker
Security/encryption is presumably not an issue if you're isolated from the net, so ftp or similar?

Likes jedishrfu
Vanadium 50 said:
Why don't you just share a disk on the "master" PC? See the NET SHARE/NET USE commands. Then have all the PCs write to it. This will work so long as you don't also have a need to duplicate file names.
Folks have forgotten about the good old days when you could actually share a drive with another computer.

Likes FactChecker
If this is just for backup purposes perhaps you can just share the drive, map it to a drive letter an use Windows 10 backup. I've not actually tried this. I use a NAS drive.

Likes jedishrfu
If they are all linux (and even if they are not), we can use the ssh suite of utilities that are included by default.
More specifically 'scp' (secure copy) will copy files or directories securely from one computer to the other.

Likes jedishrfu
I like Serena said:
If they are all linux (and even if they are not), we can use the ssh suite of utilities that are included by default.
More specifically 'scp' (secure copy) will copy files or directories securely from one computer to the other.

I think what the OP is looking for is a means to maintain the files at the same level on each machine meaning if it’s changed on one then it gets replicated onto other machines. Using scp will copy the files to or from another machine but it can’t check whether it’s newer or older than the target and so may copy an older version onto a newer version.

As others have mentioned you should setup a master copy on one machine and have each machine run a script to do timestamp compares and decide whether to copy the file to the local machine or not.

jedishrfu said:
I think what the OP is looking for is a means to maintain the files at the same level on each machine meaning if it’s changed on one then it gets replicated onto other machines. Using scp will copy the files to or from another machine but it can’t check whether it’s newer or older than the target and so may copy an older version onto a newer version.

As others have mentioned you should setup a master copy on one machine and have each machine run a script to do timestamp compares and decide whether to copy the file to the local machine or not.
Nope. OP asked specifically to automatically move files from 2 PCs to a third.
Anyway, I see that OP wrote that he has Windows, which means that scp still works, but is somewhat awkward to configure.

Traditional data feeds use a scheduled job and FTP servers and clients. Files usually move to holding area on receiving end overnight. A subsequent scheduled job will grab received file and do something with it. If all machines on intranet together, this could work.

I would connect all three machines to each other inside of a VPN, then use git repository that they all draw from. I'd put a cron in place that would run a git update every minute or so. Git would mean it would not matter what type of machine any of the hosts are (you can have two windows machines and a Redhat one for example.) Git would also allow me to do things like tags, branches, and version history.

But first, is this literally only for backup? There are better solutions for that specific problem (like RAID.)

Likes jedishrfu

1. How can I automatically transfer files between two computers?

There are a few different methods for automatically moving files between computers. One option is to use a cloud storage service, such as Dropbox or Google Drive, which will automatically sync files between devices. Another option is to set up a network file sharing system, which will allow you to access files from one computer on another computer on the same network. You can also use a file transfer protocol (FTP) program to automatically transfer files between computers over the internet.

2. Can I schedule automatic file transfers between computers?

Yes, you can set up scheduled tasks or scripts to automatically transfer files between computers at specific times. This can be done using built-in tools on your operating system, or through third-party software. Make sure to carefully schedule and test these tasks to ensure they are working correctly.

3. Are there any security concerns with automatic file transfers?

Yes, there are some security risks to consider when setting up automatic file transfers between computers. For example, if you are using a cloud storage service, make sure to use strong passwords and enable two-factor authentication to protect your files. If you are using a network file sharing system or FTP, make sure to secure your network and use encryption to protect your files from being intercepted.

4. Is it possible to automatically transfer specific types of files only?

Yes, in most cases, you can set up filters or rules to automatically transfer specific types of files between computers. For example, you can set up a rule to automatically transfer all image files from one computer to another. This can be useful for organizing and managing large amounts of files.

5. What happens if there is an error during an automatic file transfer?

If there is an error during an automatic file transfer, it will depend on the method you are using. In some cases, the transfer may fail and you will need to manually retry or troubleshoot the issue. If you are using a cloud storage service, the files may still be accessible on the service's website. It is important to regularly check and monitor your automatic file transfers to ensure they are working correctly.