Need an ME for a rack and pinion design, what is needed from both of us

• Thread starter faxibe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a ME to design a rack and pinion system with plastic gears and a spring loaded button to rotate an axle by a specified degree. The necessary specifications, simulations, and design details are outlined, as well as the suggestion to start with a 3D prototyper before consulting an ME. The conversation also addresses potential questions about the device's functionality and the process of designing and testing it.
faxibe
TL;DR Summary
what should they do exactly for the job and what info do I need to provide?
I need a ME to design a rack and pinion system where both gears are plastic (type chosen through discussion) and rather small (5mm diameter for the pinion and 6mm length for the rack). The rack is moved by a spring loaded button press and the goal is to rotate an axle the pinion is attached to by X degrees.

I don't know what specs/requirements need to be provided to the ME for this job nor do I know what simulations I need to ask a ME to perform other than providing CAD drawings to verify the design will work (low likelyhood of physical damage from stress, durability to ensure long-lasting operation, amount of expected backlash, etc)

Engineering news on Phys.org
The ME needs a simple sketch of the total system that shows the button, gear, rack, and what the gear is connected to. For example, the gear and rack can be shown as a cylinder and a rectangle. There needs to be some idea of what maximum load will be, or at least enough of a description of what the gear will be driving so that the ME can estimate a maximum load.

faxibe said:
(low likelyhood of physical damage from stress, durability to ensure long-lasting operation, amount of expected backlash, etc)
Focus on this, ask for simulations only if you want to pay extra for pretty pictures. Let the ME decide if simulations are needed.

How many will be built? If one or ten, parts may be machined or 3D printed. If 100,000, the parts may be injection molded.

How far do you want the ME to take the design? Do you want a proof of concept design, a paper design with dimensions and specified materials, or (for example) do you want the ME to work with an injection molder to build dies?

You don't need an ME yet. You need a 3D prototyper.

I know this works because I did it myself (see my prototypes below).

Go on to a 3D printing site such as Shapeways. Ask for a designer. I got 4 or 5 offers. Describe your device. Have them design it and pay them for it. Have it printed and ensure it works to your satisfaction. Then take it to an ME.

I had only sketchbook drawings to start, and now I have a working prototype, which I tweak as-needed.

I was surprisingly cheap. I paid about $50 at a time for files. This will be both cheaper and more effective (because you can iterate your design until it does exactly what you want)

I can help you navigate the process if you'd like.

1571753145006.png
1571753208604.png

1571753881350.png
1571753931037.png

Last edited:
Is this a "one shot" device? I mean, press button, axle turns, that's it? Or is there a reset? How does the spring get cocked, and if it needs to be, how does it get re-cocked?

gmax137 said:
Is this a "one shot" device? I mean, press button, axle turns, that's it? Or is there a reset? How does the spring get cocked, and if it needs to be, how does it get re-cocked?
In short: rotating head is slaved to button:

Press button: head rotates 10 degrees CCW.
Release button: head rotates 10 degrees CW.

1. What is an ME and why do I need one for a rack and pinion design?

An ME, or Mechanical Engineer, is a professional who specializes in the design, analysis, and production of mechanical systems. They are needed for a rack and pinion design because they have the expertise and knowledge to ensure that the design is efficient, functional, and safe.

2. What information do I need to provide to the ME for a rack and pinion design?

You will need to provide the ME with detailed specifications of the desired rack and pinion system, including the dimensions, load requirements, and any other relevant information. It is also helpful to provide any drawings or sketches of the design.

3. What can I expect from the ME during the design process?

The ME will work closely with you to understand your requirements and goals for the rack and pinion design. They will then use their expertise to create a detailed design that meets your specifications and is optimized for efficiency and functionality. They will also provide recommendations and suggestions for improvements if needed.

4. How long does it typically take for an ME to complete a rack and pinion design?

The time it takes for an ME to complete a rack and pinion design can vary depending on the complexity of the design and the availability of information. However, on average, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to complete the design process.

5. Will the ME also be involved in the production and testing of the rack and pinion design?

It depends on the agreement between you and the ME. Some MEs may offer production and testing services, while others may only provide design services. It is important to clarify this with the ME before starting the design process.