Need help about the magnetic field near an infinite current sheet

In summary, the main problem is finding the correct y-coordinate for point P in the equation H = 2.7*0.1-(1.4*0.15+1.3*0.25) = -0.265 az A/m. The solution involves using Ampere's law twice with a rectangular path perpendicular to the current direction, including pieces of all three current planes. The first loop gives the field on both sides of the stack of planes, while the second loop goes through the test point P. The correct answer can be obtained by considering the two loops, ABCD and FBCE, and using the dot product in Ampere's law.
e0ne199
Homework Statement
hello everyone, i have a question about magnetic field from infinite current sheet...
Relevant Equations
the equation will be related with the application of Ampere's Law on current sheet
here is the question, don't mind about point (a) and (b) because i have solved them already...the main problem is the question on point (c) :

1614333324457.png

so far, what i have done is : H = 2.7*0.1-(1.4*0.15+1.3*0.25) = -0.265 az A/m which is the wrong answer compared to the solution provided from the question...any help is really appreciated, thanks before

Physics news on Phys.org
e0ne199 said:
what i have done is
I don't see the y-coordinate of ##P## in your version ?

Use Ampere's law ##\oint \vec H d \vec l = I## twice. Use a rectangular path (which have to be in the plane perpendicular to the current direction). The first one would have to include pieces of all three current planes; this would give you the field on both sides of the stack of planes. The second one would have to go through your test point P.

Henryk said:
Use Ampere's law ##\oint \vec H d \vec l = I## twice. Use a rectangular path (which have to be in the plane perpendicular to the current direction). The first one would have to include pieces of all three current planes; this would give you the field on both sides of the stack of planes. The second one would have to go through your test point P.

sorry for the late response, but do you know how to apply your solution to my problem? probably i still have a little understanding for this kind of question...please help

BvU said:
I don't see the y-coordinate of ##P## in your version ?
could you please point out which is wrong on my current answer?

hallo, anyone?

e0ne199 said:
could you please point out which is wrong on my current answer?
Did you read the replies ?
e0ne199 said:
hallo, anyone?
Instant service required after two weeks of silence? Still nice to hear back from you :wink:
e0ne199 said:
the equation will be related with the application of Ampere's Law

what i have done is : H = 2.7*0.1-(1.4*0.15+1.3*0.25) = -0.265 az A/m
Yes, Ampere's law. As @Henryk wrote. It involves a path (maybe even several paths). Where is your path ? Is P on that path ?

BvU said:
Did you read the replies ?
Instant service required after two weeks of silence? Still nice to hear back from you :wink:
Yes, Ampere's law. As @Henryk wrote. It involves a path (maybe even several paths). Where is your path ? Is P on that path ?
i am sorry, i really don't understand about your clue...i did try to find another example for a whole week after posting that question here... the possible way i could think of is like this :

(2.7-1.4) X ay = 1.3 az A/m but i am not sure if the way i get the answer is right or not...

e0ne199 said:
really don't understand about your clue
But do you understand what I am asking ? Ampere <--> path . Where is your path ?

e0ne199 said:
(2.7-1.4) X ay = 1.3 az A/m
What is X ? What are you doing here and how is it related to Ampere's law ?

BvU said:
But do you understand what I am asking ? Ampere <--> path . Where is your path ?

What is X ? What are you doing here and how is it related to Ampere's law ?
Screenshot_20210309-060736_LectureNotes.jpg

ok, here is the path, P is the green one, and pink line is the path.

about this
(2.7-1.4) X ay = 1.3 az A/m

i was doing a calculation with cross product, but i am not sure if this is the right way to do, since

H=K X an

so please tell me if i am doing it wrong or not

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210309-060736_LectureNotes.jpg
    Screenshot_20210309-060736_LectureNotes.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 93
oops, sorry, I have a symbol missing in Ampere's law, it should be ##\oint \vec H \cdot \vec l = I##, i.e. dot product, not cross product and I is the total current enclosed by the loop with the direction given by the right hand rule.
Now, you notice that you can move vertical vectors left or right (i.e. changing the length of the horizontal vectors, portions of the path) and as long as they don't cross current planes, the enclosed current remains the same. This tells you ##H_y = 0##. Similarily, the loop can be moved up or down and, since the current density is constant, the ##H_z = const##
Now, consider the two loops, ABCD and FBCE and you should get the correct answer.

Attachments

• planes.png
    planes.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 102
Likes BvU
@e0ne199 : Isn't it wonderful what a clear picture can do !

Henryk said:
oops, sorry, I have a symbol missing in Ampere's law, it should be ##\oint \vec H \cdot \vec l = I##, i.e. dot product, not cross product and I is the total current enclosed by the loop with the direction given by the right hand rule.
Now, you notice that you can move vertical vectors left or right (i.e. changing the length of the horizontal vectors, portions of the path) and as long as they don't cross current planes, the enclosed current remains the same. This tells you ##H_y = 0##. Similarily, the loop can be moved up or down and, since the current density is constant, the ##H_z = const##
Now, consider the two loops, ABCD and FBCE and you should get the correct answer.
based on the diagram, the result is like this :

##H_z * l = K * l##
##H_z =##(loop ABCD)+(loop FBCE) = (2.7-1.4-1.3) + (-1.3) = -1.3 ##a_z## A/m

is that result correct?

umm.. hello, anyone?

1. What is an infinite current sheet?

An infinite current sheet is a theoretical model used in physics to represent a surface with an infinite amount of current flowing through it. It is often used to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of magnetic fields.

2. How does the magnetic field near an infinite current sheet behave?

The magnetic field near an infinite current sheet is uniform and perpendicular to the surface of the sheet. This means that the strength of the magnetic field does not change as you move along the surface of the sheet, and it is always at a 90-degree angle to the sheet.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field near an infinite current sheet?

The direction of the magnetic field near an infinite current sheet is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow on the sheet, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

4. How does the distance from the infinite current sheet affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field near an infinite current sheet decreases as you move farther away from the sheet. This is because the field lines spread out as they move away from the sheet, resulting in a weaker field.

5. Can an infinite current sheet exist in real life?

No, an infinite current sheet is a theoretical concept and does not exist in real life. However, it can be used as a useful approximation in certain situations, such as studying the behavior of magnetic fields in a uniform plane.