Need help calculating angular velocity

In summary: KE = 6,546.9 Joules, but that's only the rotational KE, it also has linear KE also...In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the kinetic energy of one tire on a car after accelerating from rest. The moment of inertia, angular velocity, and final speed of the car were calculated, resulting in a rotational kinetic energy of 6,546.9 Joules. However, this is only the rotational KE and the car also has linear KE. The use of significant figures was also mentioned, advising to work symbolically and round to the number of figures implied by the given data at the final step.
san512

Homework Statement

The average car today has a mass of 1100 kg, and when accelerating from rest, covers 0.25 miles in 15 seconds. Each rim and tire together has a diameter of 46 cm and a mass of 9.1kg. If we agree the rim and tire have the shape of a solid disk that rotates through its geometric center, what would be the kinetic energy of one of the tires, in Joules, at the end of the run?

2. Homework Equations

ke = 1/2 * I * w^2, I=1/2*r^2*m

The Attempt at a Solution

i calculated the moment of inertia to be .24 by I= 9.1kg*.23m^2*.5

I calculated the angular velocity to be 116.59 rad/s by finding the rev/sec and then converting to rad/sec

circum = .23*2*pi = 1.4451m

and the rev: 402.25m/1.4451m = 278 rev. i got 402.25 by converting .25 miles to meters

278/15= 18.5rev/sec

18.5rev/sec* 2*pi = 116.59rad/ sec

in the end i got KE= 1635 j

i don't know if that's right. i also need help applying significant numbers. i don't know whether to apply them towards the final calculation or throughout the conversions

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
san512 said:
278/15= 18.5rev/sec
The car is not moving with a constant velocity, that formula does not apply here.
san512 said:
i also need help applying significant numbers. i don't know whether to apply them towards the final calculation or throughout the conversions
Round the final result to the right number digits and keep more digits in between, otherwise you can get too large rounding errors.

There are various units missing in the equations.

mfb said:
The car is not moving with a constant velocity, that formula does not apply here.
Round the final result to the right number digits and keep more digits in between, otherwise you can get too large rounding errors.

There are various units missing in the equations.

how would i find angular velocity and what units am i missing?

san512 said:
how would i find angular velocity and what units am i missing?
Find the final speed of the car first.

Missing units:
i calculated the moment of inertia to be .24
.23*2*pi = 1.4451m
278/15= 18.5rev/sec

mfb said:
Find the final speed of the car first.

Missing units:

okay. so using vf= 2d-vi/t

2*402.25m/15s= 53.63m/s

relating linear motion with rotational motion

v/r=w

53.63m/s/.23m =233.17

is that right?

san512 said:
2*402.25m/15s= 53.63m/s

relating linear motion with rotational motion

v/r=w

53.63m/s/.23m =233.17

is that right?
Yes, but it's usually a good idea to do all the working symbolically first, only plugging in numbers at the end. It makes it much easier for others to follow, makes it easier to spot mistakes, and minimises accumulation of rounding errors. In the present case, you'll find you don't need to calculate w at all. Indeed two of the given numbers are irrelevant.

haruspex said:
Yes, but it's usually a good idea to do all the working symbolically first, only plugging in numbers at the end. It makes it much easier for others to follow, makes it easier to spot mistakes, and minimises accumulation of rounding errors. In the present case, you'll find you don't need to calculate w at all. Indeed two of the given numbers are irrelevant.

but the question is asking for rotational KE. don't i need to calculate w for that?

san512 said:
but the question is asking for rotational KE. don't i need to calculate w for that?
No, it asks for KE. And no, you will find you do not need to calculate w even if it did only ask for rotational KE. Just try it.

haruspex said:
No, it asks for KE. And no, you will find you do not need to calculate w even if it did only ask for rotational KE. Just try it.

i got it. thanks a lot.

if you don't mind could you help me with applying significant figures?

i have trouble with problems that need a lot conversions. so for example, 12 miles to m. i see 2 in miles so would that mean i have to round m to 2 significant figures as well?

san512 said:
if you don't mind could you help me with applying significant figures?

i have trouble with problems that need a lot conversions. so for example, 12 miles to m. i see 2 in miles so would that mean i have to round m to 2 significant figures as well?
As I said, you should work symbolically, only plugging in numbers at the final step. When you do so, use a couple more figures than in the provided data where you can, e.g. in the conversion factors. Only right at the end round to the number of figures implied by the given data.

Got it. Thanks a lot. You helped me out a lot.

Ive done the maths, you may as well have it.
Moment of inertia = 0.240 kg-m²
Rotation rate at final velocity = v / r = 233.24 rad / sec
KE of 1 wheel = 6,546 Joules

dean barry said:
Ive done the maths, you may as well have it.
Moment of inertia = 0.240 kg-m²
Rotation rate at final velocity = v / r = 233.24 rad / sec
KE of 1 wheel = 6,546 Joules
No. Read post #8.

Sorry, actually the final velocity assuming constant acceleration = 53.645 m/s resulting in a rotation rate of 53.645 / 0.23 = 233.238 rad/sec
the resulting (rotational ) KE = 6,546.9 Joules, but that's only the rotational KE, it also has linear KE also...

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rotational speed of an object around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in radians per second.

2. How do I calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the radius of the circular motion.

3. What are the units of angular velocity?

The units of angular velocity are typically radians per second (rad/s). However, it can also be expressed in revolutions per minute (rpm) or degrees per second (deg/s).

4. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rotational speed of an object, while linear velocity measures the speed of an object in a straight line. Angular velocity also takes into account the distance from the axis of rotation, while linear velocity does not.

5. How can I use angular velocity in real-world applications?

Angular velocity is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the speed of a spinning car tire, determining the rotational speed of a wind turbine, and predicting the path of a satellite in orbit. It is also used in physics and engineering to understand the dynamics of rotating objects.