Need help choosing the necessary motor for my first ever DIY project

In summary, the individual has decided to create an automatic door closer for their bedroom door due to it always being left open. They are struggling with determining the voltage and type of motion needed for the motor, as well as safety precautions to prevent the door from closing on someone. Various suggestions are made, such as using self-closing hinges or adapting a car window regulator mechanism. The use of magnetic switches is also recommended for detection. It is noted that the door should close slowly to allow for proper latching.
sabby_
Hello,

I have decided that no matter how many times I ask, people will always leave my bedroom door open. Therefore, I have decided to try my hand at a DYI project to create an automatic door closer. I'm aware these already exist but I'm also doing this because I've always been interested in robotics and figured this would be a fun way to get my foot in the door.

The main things that I am struggling with is deciding how much voltage my motor will need, and what type of motion my motor will need to use. My door weights about 60 pounds and the motor will only need enough force to close it close it shut. I do not need it to open the door. How can I calculate this? Will the angle in which the door is open affect the power needed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You will need some clever mechanical design not just motor design. The angle changes very much and that's important. You also need a way to stop the motor when fully closed, and a way to sense when it should turn on.

I suggest that you start by studying the pictures of the very many existing electric door closer. This search in google images will show you many.

Likes YoungPhysicist and jim hardy
I would suggest a cheap alternative, but it might be too subtle. I'd look at adjustable spring hinges. If there were three on a well hung door, they will probably close it, or at least pull it very close to latched. I usually put one on doors that aren't level and want to stay open if I can't level the door any other way.

dynasty-hardware-door-hinges-sp-40-58-us15-2pk-64_400_compressed.jpg

If you install a motor to close a door, there should be some kind of safety or torque limit that prevents the door from closing on a person, pet, etc...

Attachments

• dynasty-hardware-door-hinges-sp-40-58-us15-2pk-64_400_compressed.jpg
    dynasty-hardware-door-hinges-sp-40-58-us15-2pk-64_400_compressed.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 525
Likes anorlunda
The max force required is likely to occur when compressing the latch. Perhaps measure that

I would just try to adapt a tray servo from a CD drive. That is made with slipping allowed, is slow, has some push but not much, also there are the endpoint switches ready...

It's natural to look to electronics for everything these days.

as @anorlunda suggested this is more of a mechanical challenge than electrical.
you're after rotary motion for the door. A mechanical knee action with a couple of rotary bearings could work by gravity.

If you really want it to be electric i would go to a junkyard and get a couple of automobile window regulator mechanisms for a start.. https://www.samarins.com/glossary/window-regulator.html

Or just fit self closing hinges. Lots of versions exist. Not all lift the door like these...

Likes jim hardy
I'll also suggest you go for a simple & quick solution like self-closing hinges shown above.
But if you really want to get this done electrically, I'll recommend a detection method using magnetic switches:

http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/i...switches_overview_reed_switches_small-jpg.jpg

embedd or stick a magnet in/on your door in a way that when the door closes, the magnet will lay directly beside the switch, which will complete whatever circuit the switch is connected to. The connection will break as soon as the magnet leave the switch(when you open the door)

Hope this helped you in some way.

A73DFAEA-74E1-4EC5-AEB3-50BAE099D5AE.jpeg

These.

Simple lift or spring closures are OK, but the devices pictured above allow the door to close slowly, in a damped fashion, until the last few degrees where they release the damping. This slams the door slightly so the latch can engage. Otherwise your door will end up ajar, resting on the latch.

A motorised door would have to be quite torquey to swing the door from that position, would have to shut off in an overcurrent situation (someone standing in the door way, holding it open) and would be quite hard to mount elegantly.

A car window motor might be suitable.

Attachments

• A73DFAEA-74E1-4EC5-AEB3-50BAE099D5AE.jpeg
    A73DFAEA-74E1-4EC5-AEB3-50BAE099D5AE.jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 528
Likes ChemAir, YoungPhysicist and jim hardy

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a motor for my DIY project?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a motor for your DIY project. These include the size and weight of your project, the desired speed and torque, power source compatibility, and the type of motor (DC, AC, stepper, etc.). It is also important to consider your budget and the availability of the motor.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size and power of the motor for my project?

The size and power of the motor you need will depend on the specific requirements of your project. You can calculate the necessary torque and speed based on the weight and size of your project, and then choose a motor that can provide that amount of torque and speed. It is always recommended to choose a motor with slightly higher power than what is required to ensure it can handle unexpected loads.

3. Should I use a DC or AC motor for my project?

The type of motor you should use will depend on the power source and the specific needs of your project. DC motors are more commonly used for battery-powered projects, while AC motors are typically used for projects that require a continuous power source. It is important to consider the voltage and current requirements of your project when choosing between DC and AC motors.

4. What is the difference between a brushed and brushless motor?

Brushed motors use physical brushes to transmit power to the motor's armature, while brushless motors use electronic commutation. Brushless motors are generally more efficient, have a longer lifespan, and require less maintenance. However, they are also more expensive than brushed motors. The type of motor you choose will depend on your budget and the specific needs of your project.

5. Can I use a motor controller with any type of motor?

Not all motors are compatible with motor controllers. Some types of motors, such as brushed DC motors, require a specific type of controller. It is important to check the specifications of both the motor and the controller to ensure they are compatible. Additionally, make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for connecting and programming the motor controller.