Need help determine force from cylinder linkage

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the downward force of a rod with a given cylinder pressure and mechanical linkage. The speaker suggests solving the problem using linkages with vectors and moments, but notes that the force transfer function will vary depending on the mechanism's attitude. They also mention the need for details such as linkage centers-of-mass and lengths between pins to accurately calculate the force.
charandstell
How can I determine the downward force of the rod with the given cylinder pressure and mechanical linkage? Do I sum my moments about the pivot? I calculated M=950xCOS(75.732)x7.81 + (X)SIN(63.414)x9.4 which resulted in 1828lbs. I get 217 lbs which does not seem right.
1673307874515.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What a confusing picture.
If that is an auto-leveling front-end-loader mechanism, I would solve it using linkages with vectors and moments. To do that, I would need details of the linkage centers-of-mass, lengths between pins, and the coordinates of all fixed point pins on the loader frame.
The force transfer function will vary depending on the attitude of the mechanism.
The aim would be to find the bucket downforce as a function of hydraulic pressure.

1. How do I determine the force from a cylinder linkage?

The force from a cylinder linkage can be determined by using the formula F = P x A, where F is the force in pounds, P is the pressure in pounds per square inch (psi), and A is the area of the piston in square inches.

2. What factors affect the force from a cylinder linkage?

The force from a cylinder linkage can be affected by the pressure applied, the area of the piston, the length of the linkage, and the angle of the linkage.

3. How can I measure the pressure in a cylinder linkage?

The pressure in a cylinder linkage can be measured using a pressure gauge or by calculating it using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

4. What is the relationship between pressure and force in a cylinder linkage?

The relationship between pressure and force in a cylinder linkage is direct, meaning that as pressure increases, force also increases. This is because the force is directly proportional to the pressure and the area of the piston.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with cylinder linkages?

Yes, it is important to always follow proper safety procedures when working with cylinder linkages, including wearing appropriate protective gear, ensuring proper ventilation, and being aware of potential hazards such as high pressures and moving parts.