Need help determining torque required

• Thread starter ManBearPig2114
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in designing a machine and determining the appropriate motor to use. The setup includes a 60" diameter table with a weight of 185lbs and a load of 3,750lbs on top. The question is how much torque will be required to rotate the table at a speed of 1-2 RPM's. The formulas for torque and angular acceleration can be used to calculate the amount of torque needed, taking into account the mass moment of inertia and the speed at which the table needs to come up to speed. If the motor is not powerful enough, a gearing system may be used to increase the torque. A torque vs. speed graph can also help determine the motor's performance.
ManBearPig2114
Hi, all! I am looking for some assistance on designing a machine. I have to admit, I am just a Mechanical Designer/Draftsman, and need some help determining the right motor to use.

Here is the setup:
-I have a 60" diameter table. It is 0.25" thick. I am using general steel density to spec it's weight to about 185lbs. This weight is calculated with slots cut out of table, reducing overall weight.
-On top of the table, there will be a load of 3,750lbs. This is a coil with an ID of 35", and an OD of 57".
-All in all, there is 3,935lbs atop the table.
-I have motors with a 1" shaft diameter.

My question is, how much torque will be required to rotate the table top (with load) at a speed of around 1-2 RPM's?

I am slightly confused on the formulas, so any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Also, see the sketch I did for descriptions in detail!

Attachments

• TORQUE SKETCH-Model.jpg
    TORQUE SKETCH-Model.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 573
Engineering news on Phys.org
ManBearPig2114 said:
My question is, how much torque will be required to rotate the table top (with load) at a speed of around 1-2 RPM's?
You will need very little torque to maintain a constant rotation speed - just enough to balance the friction at that speed.
You need more torque to accelerate it though - the amount depends on how quickly you want it to get up to speed.

You'll need the equation for torque and angular acceleration: [itex]\tau = I\alpha[/itex], where I is the mass moment of inertia. Since the coil and the table have the same axis of rotation, you won't have to use the parallel axis theorem to get the combined moment of inertia, so you can just add them up: [itex]I = \frac{m(r_1^2+r_2^2)}{2}[/itex]. You'll have to decide how quickly the table and disk need to come up to speed at 1-2 RPM, and that will decide your alpha.

Your motor should be rated to a certain max speed and max torque, so the torque needed to rotate the shaft of the motor will be factored in that. If you find that your motor isn't powerful enough to rotate the tabletop directly, consider using a gearing system. From a modified form of the power equation, [itex]\tau_1\omega_1 = \tau_2 \omega_2[/itex], which tells you that a motor with a low torque but high angular speed can produce a high torque at a low angular speed. The ratio of the angular velocities is determined by the gears you use.

The last part to figure out is what the speed is that the motor will spin given the torque that it must generate. The max speed of the motor is determined at zero torque and the max torque is determined at zero speed. There is a somewhat linear relationship between these two, so plotting a torque vs. speed graph can help you ballpark what the motor will do.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: The textbook "System Dynamics" by Palm covers this kind of problem if you're interested.

Last edited:

1. What is torque and why is it important?

Torque is a measure of the amount of force required to rotate an object around an axis. In other words, it is the twisting or turning force applied to an object. Understanding torque is crucial in determining the amount of force needed to move or lift an object, such as in machinery or vehicles.

2. How do I calculate the torque required for a specific task?

The formula for torque is torque = force x distance. First, determine the force needed to move or lift the object. Then, measure the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Multiply these two values to get the torque required.

3. What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). In some cases, it may also be measured in inch-pounds (in-lb) or kilogram-meters (kg-m).

4. How does the weight and shape of an object affect the torque required?

The weight and shape of an object can greatly impact the torque required to move or lift it. Heavier objects will require more force to rotate, while the shape of an object can affect the distance from the axis of rotation and therefore the torque needed.

5. Are there any online tools or resources available to help determine torque?

Yes, there are various online calculators and resources available that can assist in calculating torque for different applications. It is important to ensure that the input values are accurate and the correct formula is used for the specific task at hand.