How Do Different Media Affect Pendulum Damping?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of an investigatory project in school, specifically studying the damping effect of a pendulum in different media. The person is interested in trying out this experiment but is unsure of which equations to use. Another person suggests using a pendulum made of a material that can be affected by magnetic damping and shares a resource for equations and analysis.
Swetasuria
I have to do an investogatory project in school and we can choose the topic of our choice. My teacher has suggested an experiment where we could study the damping effect of a pendulum in three different media-air, water and magnetic field.

This sounds pretty interesting (and pretty simple) to me, and I would like to try it out. But I don't know which equations to put into use. I suppose one thing I could do is find the time the pendulum takes to stop oscillating in the three different media but that is all that's clicking me right now.

Please help me out and give me some ideas.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
To be a fair test I think you have to use the same pendulum each time. So you need a pendulum made of something that will give magnetic damping.
The best thing I have seen along these lines was a aluminium pendulum that slowed down in a magnet because of eddy currents...just a starting suggestion.
ciao

1. What is the purpose of the school project?

The purpose of the school project is to provide an opportunity for students to apply what they have learned in class to a real-world situation. It also helps to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and time management skills.

2. How do I choose a topic for the school project?

Choosing a topic for the school project can be challenging, but it is important to choose something that interests you and aligns with the project guidelines. You can also consult with your teacher or do some research to find a topic that is relevant and meaningful to you.

3. How can I ensure my project is successful?

To ensure a successful project, it is essential to plan and organize your work. Make a timeline and stick to it, gather all necessary materials and information, and regularly communicate with your teacher for guidance and feedback. Don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.

4. Can I work on the project with other students?

Yes, it is often encouraged to work on the project with other students as it promotes collaboration and teamwork. However, make sure to follow any guidelines set by your teacher and contribute equally to the project.

5. How should I present my project?

The presentation of your project will depend on the guidelines provided by your teacher. It could be a written report, a slideshow, a poster, or a combination of different formats. Make sure to follow any specific instructions and present your project in a clear and organized manner.