Need help in deciding what to research for physics project

In summary, this student is asking for ideas on an experiment to conduct or research to do, as they do not know what to do themselves. They mention wanting to make a project that demonstrates the basics of simple harmonic motion and electric fields, but are also looking for ideas on other projects to do.
DylanVelez
Hello enlighted people of this forum. I'm an undergraduate from a university in Colombia, my subject of study is software engineering but I have a class which is named "Physics 2", this class introduces the subjects of simple harmonic motion(pendulum, sound waves, etc), electric fields, Gauss's law and introductory circuits. For class we're required to make an experiment or research and show it to the whole university in some kind of science fair.

The problem here is not that we don't know the subjects taught in class but that my team and I don't really know what to do as an experiment. We've searched for videos on physics experiments involving simple harmonic motion and circuits but they were all really basic, they were all just building pendulums or lighting some little bulbs.

So, I wanted to ask, can you guys give me examples or ideas as to what kind of experiment or research to conduct? we have very limited resources as the university doesn't provide anything so it would have to be kind of cheap. I'd like to make a project that demonstrates the basic concepts or those subjects I talked about but that is still cool and draws attention.

Note that I'm not asking for a how to do this tutorial but I'm rather asking for ideas for a experiment and examples or resources where I can learn about that experiment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at projects done in previous years?

CWatters said:
Look at projects done in previous years?
Yes but I don't know which projects, In my college this is the first time it's done so I don't really know what to do. We could do pendulums but we think that's really simple and doesn't make a cool experiment

Why not do something comparing the oscillations of both a classical pendulum and an RLC circuit? Find out how resistance compares to air resistance, etc. etc.

1. What are some popular topics for physics projects?

Some popular topics for physics projects include electromagnetism, motion and forces, energy and power, waves and optics, and thermodynamics.

2. How can I come up with a unique idea for a physics project?

One way to come up with a unique idea is to think about everyday problems or phenomena that you are curious about and try to explain them using physics principles. You can also look for inspiration in current news and research in the field of physics.

3. What are some resources I can use to research my physics project?

Some resources you can use to research your project include scientific journals, textbooks, reputable websites, and speaking with experts in the field. You can also conduct experiments and gather data to support your project.

4. How can I make my physics project stand out?

To make your project stand out, you can try to incorporate creative and engaging elements such as demonstrations, visual aids, or interactive components. You can also focus on a specific aspect or application of a topic that has not been extensively explored.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy and validity of my physics project?

To ensure the accuracy and validity of your project, it is important to conduct thorough research and gather reliable data. It is also helpful to seek feedback from peers or experts in the field and make any necessary adjustments based on their input.