Why Is the Correct Name 3-Methyl-3-Propylheptane?

• Thread starter toothpaste666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrocarbon
In summary, the conversation is about determining the correct name for a compound with a chain of 7 carbon atoms. The chain includes a methyl group and a propyl group, and the question is whether the name should be 3-methyl-3-propylheptane or 3,3-dimethylheptane. The group ultimately agrees that the correct name is 3-methyl-3-propylheptane, as the longest chain of 7 carbons is selected and numbered according to alphabetical order. The confusion lies in understanding the concept of the longest chain and how to properly name the compound.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

chemproblem.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is supposedly C but I can't figure out why its not E.
first I count the number of C in the longest chain. There are 7 C and there are only single bonds so the the root and suffix is heptane. there is a chain with one C (methyl) and one with 3 C (propyl) and they are both attached the the third carbon counting from the side that gives the smallest numbers. listing in alphabetical order the name should be 3-methyl-3-propylheptane

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to select the longest chain. Which number is higher 7, or 8?

I am confused. To me it seems that there are 3 chains, one with 7, one with 3 and one with 1 carbons

E can't be right as it calls for HEPTane, when there is a possible OCTane chain.

forgive me if it is obvious but I don't see where the octane chain could be

"Longest chain" doesn't necessarily mean longest straight line.

Likes toothpaste666
Start from the leftmost carbon, turn right (down) at the ternary carbon.

Likes toothpaste666
ahh i get it now. thanks guys

1. What is a hydrocarbon?

A hydrocarbon is a compound made up of only hydrogen and carbon atoms. It is commonly found in fossil fuels such as oil, natural gas, and coal.

2. Why is naming a hydrocarbon important?

Naming a hydrocarbon is important because it allows scientists to accurately communicate and identify specific compounds. It also helps in understanding the structure and properties of the compound.

3. What is the naming system for hydrocarbons?

The naming system for hydrocarbons is based on the number of carbon atoms in the molecule. The prefix indicates the number of carbon atoms, while the suffix indicates the type of bond present (single, double, or triple).

4. Can hydrocarbons have the same name but different structures?

Yes, hydrocarbons can have the same name but different structures. This is known as isomerism, where compounds have the same molecular formula but different structural formulas.

5. How do I name a hydrocarbon with a functional group?

If a hydrocarbon contains a functional group, the suffix of the name will depend on the type of functional group present. The functional group is given the highest priority and the compound is named accordingly.