How Can I Learn Vector Basics for Physics Homework?

In summary, this website is helpful for people who have never taken physics before because it provides a step-by-step guide on how to do a physics homework.
chewykid92
Need help on my physics homework -- vectors

Hey, this is my first time using this website, but my friend told me it was really helpful when he was in college taking physics, so here it goes.

I need help on my physics hw, I have never taken physics before. So i uploaded a picture of my hw, DON'T GIVE ME THE ANSWER, just simply guide me through the process of it because I want to learn how to do it.

Attachments

• IMG_20120827_231237.jpg
    IMG_20120827_231237.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org

Set up a coordinate system: [itex] \vec{D} = 2\,cm\hat{x} [/itex] means there is a displacement of 2cm along the x-axis taking (0,0) as the initial starting point. If instead, the displacement is 5 times as much, then you have gone along the x-axis 5 times as much relative to the origin. So therefore, what is the [itex] a [/itex] in [itex] \vec{D'} = a\vec{D}? [/itex]

For the second part, the words mean in the coordinate system defined above, vector S is at angle of 30o with respect to the positive x axis. Do you know how to write this vector in component form?

no, i don't know how to write it in vector component form.

Think of a right angled triangle. You should know from elementary trigonometry that [itex] \sinθ = \frac{opp}{hyp} [/itex] and [itex] \cosθ = \frac{adj}{hyp}. [/itex] The hypoteneuse here can be thought of as the actual vector and the other two sides its components. If you label the 'opposite' side of the traingle, [itex] S_y [/itex] and the 'adjacent' side [itex] S_x [/itex] and the hypotenuse [itex] S [/itex], you should be able to get that [itex] Ssinθ = S_y [/itex] and [itex] Scosθ = S_x. [/itex] These are the components of the vector S.

Do you see this?
In terms of vector notation, we write [itex] \vec{S} = Scosθ\hat{x} + Ssinθ\hat{y}. [/itex]

Ok, now what is [itex] -\vec{S}? [/itex]

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, I did not see what you posted quick enough, turned in my homework already, but when I got back and saw this reply, this was really helpful, so maybe next time if there is another problem like this, I can compare what to do, thank you for your help!

chewykid92 said:
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, I did not see what you posted quick enough, turned in my homework already, but when I got back and saw this reply, this was really helpful, so maybe next time if there is another problem like this, I can compare what to do, thank you for your help!

The next time you post here in Homework Help, be sure to use the HH Template that you are provided. Fill out the sections for the Relevant Equations and show your Attempt at a Solution. That is part of the rules here at the PF, and is meant to help you learn how to learn.

:smile:

1. What are vectors in physics?

Vectors in physics are quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with a length proportional to its magnitude.

2. How do I add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first resolve them into their horizontal and vertical components. Then, you can add or subtract the corresponding components to get the resultant vector. Make sure to pay attention to the direction and magnitude of the components.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature and time, while examples of vectors include displacement and velocity.

4. How do I find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. If the vector is represented by its horizontal and vertical components, the magnitude can be found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of these components.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life application of vectors in physics?

One example of a real-life application of vectors in physics is in navigation. The direction and magnitude of a ship's velocity vector can be used to determine its position and course. Similarly, in airplane navigation, the velocity vector is used to determine the speed and direction of the plane.