Need help on some mechanics questions from a text book

TheePhysicsStudent
Homework Statement
I know HOW to get the answer as i underwent trial and error, but I don't actually understand the process of why we do what we do:
Relevant Equations
Friction = mgsin θ
1704369639910.png
These are the questions I am failing to comprehend despite their very basic nature
1704369777778.png
This is the wonderful support from the book explaining how to get the answer ! (It just gives you the answer no working out which is annoying)
1704369962228.png
1704369998897.png
I

Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to start with 2 B II, the support force from the slope on the object

TheePhysicsStudent said:
I would like to start with 2 B II, the support force from the slope on the object
Sorry i looked at the wrong question, I meant Question 4 sorry for any inconvenience I caused you

TheePhysicsStudent said:
Sorry i looked at the wrong question, I meant Question 4 sorry for any inconvenience I caused you
No need to apologize: we help voluntarily :smile:

In the mean time I have looked at the first one (2a) and I do have comments on that one:

1704371363550.png

You are asked to show the three forces on the object. I see four arrows; two are correct and one is missing

1704371261000.png
Agree ?

You are also asked for the support force from the slope acting on the object. Any suggestions ?

- - - - -

Re Question 4 (PF prefers one item per thread to facilitate referencing and avoid confusion, but never mind...)

1704372101762.png
What you appear to do looks OK to me, but you are just like the book: you don't tell. What's the very basic nature under this one ?

Equilibrium ##\Leftrightarrow## sum of forces is zero

A better drawing is in order: in your picture the tensions don't act on the object

##\ ##

Likes TSny
And somehow I get 6.96, i.e. 7.0 N, not 6.8

(golden rule: don't round off intermediate results).

The picture I had in mind:

1704374006160.png
General idea clear now ? Basic nature :wink: ?
##\ ##​

Likes TheePhysicsStudent
BvU said:
(golden rule: don't round off intermediate results).
Platinum rule: Don't find intermediate angles if you are looking for trig functions.

FBD_Hanging_mass.png

Here, $$\sin\theta=\frac{0.80}{\sqrt{0.12^2+0.80^2}}~;~~\cos\theta=\frac{0.12}{\sqrt{0.12^2+0.80^2}}~;~~\tan\theta=\frac{0.80}{0.12}.$$ :wink:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes TheePhysicsStudent and BvU
Ancient dutch expression: there's always boss above boss

Ancient greek expression: turtles all the way down

##\ ##

• Haha
Likes Juanda and TheePhysicsStudent
WOW! I can't thank you enough, especially for question 4 as I realise that whilst I was sort of there I made it so much weirder than it had to be, Many thanks to you guys

Likes BvU, kuruman and berkeman

1. How do I approach solving mechanics questions from a textbook?

When tackling mechanics questions from a textbook, it's important to first understand the concepts being tested. Break down the problem into smaller parts, identify the given information, and determine what is being asked. Draw diagrams if necessary and apply relevant equations to solve the problem step by step.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics questions?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics questions include misinterpreting the given information, using incorrect formulas, neglecting units, and overlooking important details. Make sure to double-check your work and ensure your calculations are accurate.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in mechanics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in mechanics, practice solving a variety of problems from different textbooks and sources. Work on understanding the underlying principles and concepts, and try to solve problems using different methods to enhance your critical thinking and analytical skills.

4. What resources can I use to get help with mechanics questions from a textbook?

You can seek help from your teacher, classmates, or online platforms such as forums, educational websites, and tutoring services. Additionally, referring to solution manuals, textbooks with worked examples, and watching video tutorials can also be beneficial in understanding and solving mechanics questions.

5. How can I check if my solutions to mechanics questions are correct?

You can check the correctness of your solutions by verifying your calculations, ensuring that your answers are in the correct units, and comparing your solutions with the provided solutions in the textbook or solution manual. Additionally, you can ask for feedback from your peers or teachers to clarify any doubts and mistakes in your solutions.