Help with this integral on page 34 of Analytical Mechanics by John Bohn

RahSuh
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: Am stuck on an integral at the bottom of page 34

Hi - I am working thru (by myself) the small textbook by Bohn on Analytical Mechanics. Its very good but am stuck on Page 34, at the bottom. It concerns the "action" of a simple pendulum - I understand the math concept of action as Bohn . I just dont understand how he gets the integral works. ie in the snip attached how he gets from the first line of the integral for A to the second line. The integral looks really, really messy. Any help appreciated. (the book is very, very good - so far!)
BohnPage34.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's the integral ##\int_{u}^{v} \sqrt{a-bx^2} {}dx ## which is even handled in high-school mathematics (at least where I live).

Likes TSny and MatinSAR
That it has a lot of constants doesn’t really make it much more difficult. In the end, the integrand is on the form ##\sqrt{A - B\phi^2}##.

Likes TSny, Delta2 and MatinSAR
You will also need to know the relation between ##E## and ##\phi_0##.

• Love
Likes hutchphd and Delta2
here is the result of indefinite integral according to wolfram. It is quite messy and its gonna be even messier if you replace constants a and b with the combined constants you have in your expression.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=integral+of+\sqrt(a-b\phi^2)+d\phi

if you want to understand the inner workings of calculating this integral, first see that it is the same as $$\sqrt{a} \int\sqrt{1-k^2\phi^2} d\phi$$ for $$ k=\sqrt\frac{b}{a}$$ and then use the substitution $$\phi=\frac{1}{k}\sin \theta$$ to do integration by substitution.

That is gonna be a good practice for you, not only in calculus but in trigonometric identities too.

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz and TSny

1. How do I solve this integral on page 34 of Analytical Mechanics by John Bohn?

To solve the integral on page 34 of Analytical Mechanics by John Bohn, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. Make sure to carefully follow the steps outlined in the textbook and practice similar problems to improve your understanding.

2. Can you walk me through the steps of solving the integral on page 34 of Analytical Mechanics by John Bohn?

Sure! First, identify the integral and any variables involved. Then, apply the appropriate integration technique based on the form of the integral. Follow the steps outlined in the textbook, and remember to simplify and check your work for accuracy.

3. Are there any tips or tricks for solving the integral on page 34 of Analytical Mechanics by John Bohn?

One tip is to carefully review the fundamental integration rules and techniques before attempting the integral. Additionally, breaking down the integral into smaller parts or using symmetry can sometimes simplify the problem. Practice different types of integrals to improve your problem-solving skills.

4. What resources can I use for additional help with the integral on page 34 of Analytical Mechanics by John Bohn?

You can seek help from your professor, classmates, or a tutor for additional assistance with the integral. Online resources such as math forums, tutorial videos, and practice problems can also be valuable tools for further understanding and practice.

5. How important is it to master the integration techniques related to the integral on page 34 of Analytical Mechanics by John Bohn?

Mastering integration techniques is crucial for success in analytical mechanics and other mathematical disciplines. Understanding how to solve integrals allows you to analyze and solve complex problems in physics and engineering. Practice regularly and seek help when needed to strengthen your integration skills.