Need help to find a steam compressor

In summary: OTEC" "condenser air ejector" "condenser" "evaporator" "tlv" "spilling" "nash liquid ring pumps" "gdnash" "penberthy_jet_pumps"
pranj5
At present, I am looking for a steam compressor or steam compressor system that can compress very low pressure steam (2.56 kPa) to 1 bar and above. I know well that such high compression ratio will be impossible for a single set to achieve, therefore it more than one sets have to set in series that's welcome too.
To be precise, I am looking for steam compressor system(s) that can compress steam as said above. Such sets were and still are used in open cycle and/or hybrid OTEC plants.
If anybody can refer a company that can manufacture such sets, I will be grateful to him/her.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am not sure, but you might try Alibaba.com/showroom/steam-compressor.html

Thanks! I have tried them but they aren't worth the effort. Most of them are in the field of higher pressure steam compression i.e. moe than one bar is the starting pressure.

Both TLV and Spilling deal with higher pressure steam. They don't deal with such low pressure steam.

Are you removing air from a condenser ?
It takes a lot of mechanical work to compress a gas. That's why we condense the steam before pumping it back up to boiler pressure.
Probably you know better than to contemplate an over unity steam system.

The links i gave you came from searches on "condenser air ejector" and "eductor"
which turn up plenty of other manufacturers.

I want something similar to used in open cycle OTEC experiments like http://www.otecnews.org/articles/vega/07_landbased_OTEC.html . Kindly look at the compressor system fitted to the Condenser of this experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
pranj5 said:
http://www.otecnews.org/articles/vega/07_landbased_OTEC.html . Kindly look at the compressor system fitted to the Condenser of this experiment.

http://www.otecnews.org/articles/vega/07_landbased_OTEC.html
returns
upload_2016-5-17_19-56-22.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm not a lot to go on there
The basic compressor system has four stages with direct contact coolers in-between. The fourth stage compressor takes the non-condensables from the third stage. The discharge from the fourth stage is re-injected at 30 kPa into the warm water effluent returning from the second stage evaporator. A fifth stage compressor is also provided to alternately bypass the re-injection scheme and discharge into the atmosphere. The first four stages are centrifugal, whereas the fifth stage is a positive displacement type.
and that's all they tell us about it ?
Clearly it's rotating machinery
and it's for venting noncondensibles.
in my plant we used a three stage steam eductor
but we never had 4°C seawater, maybe 15°C for a day in a severe winter . So we had higher absolute pressure.

I would call a sales rep for such machinery , ask him for a brochure on what he sells ,
Tell him you're looking for a ~100hp condenser air ejector that'll pump from saturation at 4°C to atmosphere.
I didn't see a mass flow rate for anything but cooling water to the intercooler and that'll probably be his first question.

In my plant we had a visit from a Nash salesman pushing water ring compressors for air ejector duty.
But why would we trade a simple steam jet eductor with no moving parts for a complex rotating machine that has bearings, seals, motors and electrical controls to maintain ?

Sorry i can't help more.
I've heard of other plants that use Nash water ring compressors for that application . Any manufacturer's sales rep should be more than happy to help you spec a suitable machine.

old jim

Not only non-condensables, but also the non-condensed steam too that is 5% of the steam produced at the Evaporator. I don't want something that can compress steam from 5C level, 20C level will be enough for me. I have contacted a few manufacturers but all said that the pressure level (20C saturation pressure level) is too low for them to manufacture anything even if that means putting more than one machine in series.

pranj5 said:
Not only non-condensables, but also the non-condensed steam too that is 5% of the steam produced at the Evaporator.
Well sure, that's why there are intercoolers and vent condensers to recover that heat of vaporization.

pranj5 said:
I have contacted a few manufacturers but all said that the pressure level (20C saturation pressure level) is too low for them to manufacture anything even if that means putting more than one machine in series

Chalk them of your list. Either they don't have what you need or the sales reps aren't helpful enough. Part of that job is educating customers.
Search on keywords from links like these to teach your search engine where are the right social circles.

http://www.graham-mfg.com/usr/pdf/TechLibVacuum/218.PDF

http://www.fluid-technology.com/product/ejectors-and-condensers/

http://spxheattransfer.com/products/detail/steam-jet-air-ejectors

Ejectors or eductors aren't my preference. They use more steam than they produce. I prefer mechanical means like MVC (Mechanical Vapour Compression) or MVR (Mechanical Vapour Recompression).

pranj5 said:
Ejectors or eductors aren't my preference. They use more steam than they produce.
They don't produce any .
I prefer mechanical means like MVC (Mechanical Vapour Compression) or MVR (Mechanical Vapour Recompression).

call Nash.

I want to mean the steam they produce by evaporating in vacuum. And, by the way, who is Nash?

Thanks! I have contacted them and hope to get some reply. In the meantime, if you know some other sources, kindly send that to me.

I have contacted them but don't get any reply so far.

This thread is dead, the last post was more than a year ago and it looks to me like the OP has been banned.

Likes jim hardy

1. What is a steam compressor?

A steam compressor is a type of machinery that is used to compress steam in industrial processes. It is similar to an air compressor, but it is specifically designed to handle steam and convert it into energy.

2. Why would I need a steam compressor?

A steam compressor is necessary in many industrial applications where steam is used as a source of energy. It helps to increase the pressure and temperature of the steam, making it more efficient for various processes such as power generation, chemical production, and heating.

3. How do I choose the right steam compressor?

Choosing the right steam compressor depends on various factors such as the required pressure and temperature, the type of steam being used, and the specific application. It is best to consult with an expert or a manufacturer to determine the most suitable compressor for your needs.

4. What maintenance is required for a steam compressor?

Regular maintenance is crucial for the efficient and safe operation of a steam compressor. This includes checking and replacing worn out parts, lubricating moving components, and monitoring the pressure and temperature. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's maintenance guidelines for optimal performance.

5. Can I use a steam compressor for other gases?

No, a steam compressor is specifically designed to handle steam and may not be suitable for other gases. Using a steam compressor for other gases can be dangerous and may cause damage to the machinery. It is important to use the appropriate compressor for each gas to ensure safety and efficiency.