What are the efficiencies of steam compressors that are available?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the efficiency of steam compressors in the market for the purpose of vacuum evaporation and maintaining pressure levels. The original speaker is looking for information on the efficiency of compressors specifically for low pressure steam, and has found that the ones offered by manufacturers have an efficiency of less than 10%. They are seeking clarification and additional information on this topic for their own project.
pranj5
For some purpose, I need a steam compressor that can compress sub atmospheric level steam to atmospheric and above. I want to know what's the efficiency of an average steam compressor available in market. I have got some replies from a few steam compressor manufacturers, but the system they are offering have efficiency less than 10%. Do other steam compressors are inefficient to that level in reality?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please tell us what this project is all about and what your level of technical knowledge is .

This is about vacuum evaporation of water in an Evaporator and discharge that steam to keep the pressure level inside same. I can't say no more than that at this time. I want to know what are the efficiencies of compressors used in such system.

Does that make this irrelevant?

Yes .

That's your own opinion.

Well, everything said in this page is about gas compression, steam compression is different. Actually, I am looking for the info for a project of my own. It's about compressing very low pressure steam upto atmospheric level and above. I have found just two quotes so far and the efficiency I have found is below 10%. Now, I am sure that they don't have any idea about low pressure steam compression and are making mistakes.

1. What factors affect the efficiency of steam compressors?

The efficiency of steam compressors is affected by several factors, including the type of compressor, the speed of the compressor, the temperature and pressure of the steam, and the design and condition of the compressor. These factors can all impact the amount of energy required to compress the steam and the overall efficiency of the compressor.

2. How is the efficiency of steam compressors measured?

The efficiency of steam compressors is typically measured using a metric known as isentropic efficiency, which compares the actual work done by the compressor to the theoretical work that would be required to compress the steam under ideal conditions. Isentropic efficiency is expressed as a percentage, with higher percentages indicating a more efficient compressor.

3. What are the most efficient types of steam compressors?

The most efficient type of steam compressor is the axial flow compressor, which uses rotating blades to compress steam in a continuous flow. Other types of compressors, such as centrifugal and reciprocating compressors, may also be efficient depending on the specific application and design of the compressor.

4. How can the efficiency of steam compressors be improved?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of steam compressors, including regular maintenance and upkeep, using high-quality steam with the appropriate temperature and pressure, and implementing energy-saving technologies such as variable speed drives or heat recovery systems. Proper operation and maintenance practices are crucial for ensuring the optimal efficiency of steam compressors.

5. What is the typical efficiency range of steam compressors?

The efficiency of steam compressors typically ranges from 70% to 90%, with the most efficient compressors reaching up to 95% efficiency. However, the actual efficiency of a steam compressor will vary depending on the factors mentioned above, as well as the specific design and operating conditions of the compressor.