Need help understanding this: Deriving expressions for spin 1/2 systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematics involved in quantum mechanics, specifically the Stern Gerlach experiment and its relation to light polarization. The conversation then moves on to the derivation of spin-1/2 eigenkets and operators through quantum mechanics. The confusion arises when one term is represented as a wave and the physical interpretation of this is discussed. Ultimately, the rules of quantum mechanics state that the coefficient of each state can be a complex number and the physical meaning of this complex phase can be determined through calculating the expectation values of certain operators.
Xyius
So this is my first quantum mechanics class and so far we have spent about a month (well 3 weeks) on just the mathematics.

So in my book, the author explores the ideas presented by the stern gerlach experiment. It related the beam of silver atoms traveling through the separators to light traveling through two crossed polarizes by making a parallel that even though you can eliminate the x component, it can be returned if the light goes though a medium that "rotates" the light. This made a lot of sense to me and I was very happy with the analogy. From this, they constructed the expressions for spin-1/2 eigenkets and operators.

So now the book is moving to the idea of deriving these expressions through the mathematics in quantum mechanics.

So first, since there are two even distribution after passing through a separator, thus from the probabilities you get.

[itex]|\left\langle +|S_x;+ \right\rangle |=|\left\langle -|S_x;+ \right\rangle| = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]
Where [itex]|S_{x};+> [/itex] and [itex]|S_{x};- > [/itex] are the eigenkets for spin up and spin down.

This next step is where I am confused.
[itex]|S_x;+> =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|+ > +\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}e^{i \delta_1}|- >[/itex]

And then they say that the expression for the minus ket must be orthogonal since it is mutually exclusive and they get...
[itex]|S_x;->=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|+>-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}e^{i \delta_1}|->[/itex]
This I think I DO get but why are they representing one term as a wave? This logical leap doesn't make sens to me. Is there some physical interpretation that would help me?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

EDIT: The angled brackets were screwing up the Latex so I just used ">"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "representing one term as a wave?"

Physics Monkey said:
What do you mean by "representing one term as a wave?"

Well from all the physics I have done so far, [itex]e^{i\delta_1}[/itex] represents a wave correct? From Euler's formula.

I would say it represents a complex number of unit magnitude. It certainly plays an important in wave physics, but I wouldn't say that it directly represents a wave.

Terminology aside, the Rules of Quantum Mechanics state that the coefficient of each state can be a complex number so long as the sum of the square magnitudes is one. Also, the overall phase doesn't matter. If you demand that + and - have equal probability of 1/2 and you use the overall phase of the wavefunction to make the coefficient of + real, then you should be able to convince yourself that the only freedom you have left is a complex phase given by [itex] e^{i \delta_1} [/itex].

To determine the physical meaning of this phase, you could calculate the expecation values of Sx and Sy in the states you wrote down.

I believe that I understand. What you say makes sense. Thank you!

Related to Need help understanding this: Deriving expressions for spin 1/2 systems

1. What is a spin 1/2 system?

A spin 1/2 system refers to a quantum system with a spin value of 1/2. In quantum mechanics, spin is a fundamental property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. Spin 1/2 systems are commonly used to describe the behavior of fermions, such as electrons.

2. How is a spin 1/2 system represented mathematically?

In quantum mechanics, spin 1/2 systems are represented using spinors, which are mathematical objects that describe the spin state of a particle. These spinors can be represented as two-component complex vectors, with each component representing the probability amplitude of the particle being in a certain spin state.

3. What are the basic properties of spin 1/2 systems?

Spin 1/2 systems have a number of important properties, including the fact that their spin value can only take on two possible values: +1/2 or -1/2. They also exhibit spin precession, meaning their spin orientation can change in the presence of a magnetic field. Additionally, spin 1/2 systems obey the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously.

4. How are expressions derived for spin 1/2 systems?

To derive expressions for spin 1/2 systems, one must use the principles of quantum mechanics and the mathematics of spinors. This involves solving the Schrodinger equation for the spin state of the particle, as well as considering the effects of external fields on the spin state. The resulting expressions can be used to calculate the probability of the particle being in a certain spin state at a given time.

5. What are some real-life applications of spin 1/2 systems?

Spin 1/2 systems have many practical applications, particularly in the field of quantum computing. They are also used in technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and electron spin resonance spectroscopy (ESR), which rely on the spin properties of particles to create images or analyze chemical structures. Additionally, spin 1/2 systems play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of materials at the atomic level and in developing new technologies based on quantum effects.