Need help with a (apparently) difficult series

• Thread starter Sebacide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of small angle approximations in dealing with an infinite series involving trigonometric functions. The speaker mentions the need for more than just the bound on ##\sin(n)## and suggests using the Taylor series expansions for the approximations of ##\sin(1/n)## and ##\cos(1/\sqrt{n})##. However, there are concerns about the convergence rate of the approximations in an infinite series.
Sebacide
Homework Statement
I have a series, but i cannot find a method to study the convergence. Can anyone, please, help me with this series? I can't understand what kind of method can be used to study its convergence.
Relevant Equations
I thought about using ##0\leq\left|\sin(n)\right|\leq1##
This is the series: $$\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}\sin(n)\sin\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)\left(\cos\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\right)-1\right)$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Good start. I'm sure that you will need to use the bound on ##\sin(n)## that you mention, but you need more than that. I think it must have something to do with the small angle approximations. For large ##n##, ##\sin(1/n) \approx 1/n## and ##\cos(1/\sqrt{n}) \approx 1- \frac{1}{2n}##. These approximations can be derived from the Taylor series expansions. But I have concerns about using approximations in an infinite series since I do not know how fast the terms approach their approximate value.

1. What is a series in mathematics?

A series in mathematics is a sequence of numbers or terms that are added together. Each term in the series is called a "summand" and the total of all the terms is called the "sum".

2. How do I know if a series is convergent or divergent?

A series is convergent if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. A series is divergent if the sum of its terms does not approach a finite value and instead goes to infinity.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric series?

In an arithmetic series, each term is obtained by adding a constant value to the previous term. In a geometric series, each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant value. For example, in the arithmetic series 1, 4, 7, 10, the constant value is 3, while in the geometric series 2, 6, 18, 54, the constant value is 3.

4. How do I find the sum of a series?

There are various methods for finding the sum of a series, depending on the type of series. For example, for an arithmetic series, you can use the formula Sn = n(a1 + an)/2, where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the last term. For a geometric series, you can use the formula Sn = a(r^n - 1)/(r - 1), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

5. What are some common techniques for determining the convergence of a series?

Some common techniques for determining the convergence of a series include the comparison test, the limit comparison test, the ratio test, and the root test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known series or using the properties of limits to determine the behavior of the series.