Need help with Bifurcation problem

• Thread starter shoe_box
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bifurcation
In summary: For y = -µ - 1, the derivative is 2(-µ - 1) + (µ + 1) = -µ - 1. This derivative is always negative, meaning that y = -µ - 1 is always a sink.To sketch the bifurcation diagram, we plot µ on the x-axis and the equilibria values on the y-axis. We can see that at µ = -1, there is a bifurcation point where the equilibria at y = 0 changes from a source to a sink. Below this point, y = 0 is a sink and y = -µ - 1 is a sink. Above this
shoe_box
Need urgent help with Bifurcation problem!

Homework Statement

I'm stuck at part (ii) of this question! The question is as follows:

The differential equation is dy/dt = y^2 + (µ + 1)*y.
(i) Using µ = 0 sketch the phase line. Repeat for µ = -1 and µ = -2.
(ii) Calculate the position & type of equilibria as a function of µ and hence sketch the bifurcation diagram.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For µ = 0, I got 2 equil. solutions at y = 0 and y = -1 where y = 0 is a source and y = -1 is a sink.
For µ = -1, I got 1 equil. solution at y = 0 which is a source.
For µ = -2, I got 2 equil. solutions at y = 0 which is a sink and y = 1 which is a source.

The phase lines for both µ = 0 and µ = -2 are identical so I know that there is a qualitative change at µ = -1 (between µ = 0 and µ = -2)

dy/dt = y^2 + (µ+1)*y

taking the RHS to 0
y^2 + (µ+1)*y = 0
y(y+µ+1) = 0
y = 0 or y = -1-µ

I am not sure about the y values that I've got above (y=0 and y=-1-µ) and I am pretty much stuck at this point. I have no idea as what to do next after this. Please help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out for help with your bifurcation problem. Let's break down the problem and see if we can find a solution together.

First, let's review the equation and its equilibria for µ = 0, -1, and -2. For µ = 0, we have two equilibria at y = 0 and y = -1, with y = 0 being a source and y = -1 being a sink. For µ = -1, we have one equilibrium at y = 0, which is a source. And for µ = -2, we have two equilibria at y = 0 and y = 1, with y = 0 being a sink and y = 1 being a source. This is all correct.

Now, let's move on to part (ii) of the question, which asks us to calculate the position and type of equilibria as a function of µ and sketch the bifurcation diagram. To do this, we need to consider the general form of the differential equation, which is dy/dt = y^2 + (µ + 1)*y.

To find the equilibria, we set dy/dt = 0 and solve for y. This gives us y^2 + (µ + 1)*y = 0. Factoring out y, we get y(y + µ + 1) = 0. Therefore, we have two equilibria: y = 0 and y = -µ - 1.

To determine the type of equilibria, we can use the linearization method. This involves finding the derivative of dy/dt with respect to y, which is 2y + (µ + 1). We then substitute the equilibria values into this derivative to see if they are positive or negative. If the derivative is positive, the equilibrium is a source. If the derivative is negative, the equilibrium is a sink.

For y = 0, the derivative is 2(0) + (µ + 1) = µ + 1. When µ > -1, this derivative is positive, meaning that y = 0 is a source. When µ < -1, this derivative is negative, meaning that y = 0 is a sink. Therefore, we have a bifurcation point at µ = -1, where the type of equilibrium at y =

1. What is a bifurcation problem?

A bifurcation problem is a mathematical concept in which a small change in a system's parameters causes a sudden and significant change in the behavior of the system. It is often seen in systems that exhibit chaotic behavior.

2. How do scientists study bifurcation problems?

Scientists study bifurcation problems by using mathematical equations to model the behavior of the system. They then analyze these equations using techniques such as bifurcation diagrams and numerical simulations to understand how the system behaves under different conditions.

3. What are some real-world examples of bifurcation problems?

Some real-world examples of bifurcation problems include climate change, population dynamics, and the behavior of financial markets. In these cases, small changes in external factors can lead to significant and unpredictable changes in the system's behavior.

4. How can bifurcation problems be solved?

Bifurcation problems can be solved using mathematical and computational techniques such as bifurcation analysis, numerical simulations, and control theory. These methods allow scientists to better understand the behavior of the system and potentially predict and control its behavior.

5. What are the implications of bifurcation problems?

The implications of bifurcation problems can be significant, as they can lead to unexpected and potentially catastrophic changes in a system's behavior. Understanding and predicting these problems can help us make better decisions and potentially prevent negative outcomes in various fields, such as ecology, economics, and engineering.