How Do You Properly Attach Magnets and Bearings in a BLDC Motor Rotor Design?

In summary, the conversation revolved around designing a motor for a learning project. The speaker had completed the necessary math but was struggling with design questions. They asked for insights on how to attach a ring magnet to the rotor and how to attach the rotor to a shaft. They also inquired about an online resource for learning more about motor design. The response included information about using the correct adhesive for attaching magnets and the possibility of using carbon fiber to help retain the magnets at high RPMs. It was also suggested that the shaft and rotor could be machined from one piece of metal.
fahraynk
1477087980140-513699624.jpg
1477087980140-513699624.jpg
Trying to design a motor for a learning project. Finished the math but having a lot of trouble with design questions. Can anyone give me some insight.

For the rotor in this picture there is a ring magnet. Is the magnet glued on? I think it is glued onto electrical steel.
2nd question, on the inside of the rotor there is a ring that looks like a bearing or something. How does this attach to a shaft? Can you tell me if I am correct... is it just a cylinder of metal shrink fit into electrical steel? and would a shaft just be interfearance fit inside of the rotor... by hammering the shaft in or something?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bldc+rotor&client=tablet-android-lenovo&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNmsr_8uzPAhWGOyYKHfv5BOoQ_AUICCgC&biw=1280&bih=800#imgdii=uJyn9-Fgwek-4M%3A%3BzN64iZalN3DUgM%3A%3BzN64iZalN3DUgM%3A&imgrc=zN64iZalN3DUgM%3A

Also, does anyone know an online resource where I can learn how these things are done the right way?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've seen motors where the magnets are glued to the rotor. You need to use the right adhesive - epoxy can loose strength when hot. Have seen high rpm motors with the rotor wrapped in carbon fibre to help retain the magnets but that's not always necessary.

Can you machine the shaft and rotor out of one lump of metal?

Likes fahraynk

1. What is a BLDC motor rotor?

A BLDC (brushless DC) motor rotor is the rotating part of a BLDC motor that contains the permanent magnets. It is responsible for converting electrical energy into mechanical energy, which is used to power various devices and machinery.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a BLDC motor rotor?

When designing a BLDC motor rotor, some important factors to consider include the type and strength of permanent magnets, the shape and size of the rotor, the number of rotor poles, and the air gap between the rotor and stator.

3. How do you determine the optimal rotor shape for a BLDC motor?

The optimal rotor shape for a BLDC motor can be determined through computer simulations and testing. The goal is to achieve a shape that maximizes the magnetic flux, minimizes electrical losses, and provides efficient torque production.

4. What are some common challenges when designing a BLDC motor rotor?

Some common challenges when designing a BLDC motor rotor include achieving a balance between torque and speed, reducing cogging torque, minimizing electrical losses, and ensuring proper alignment with the stator for optimal performance.

5. Can a BLDC motor rotor design be optimized for specific applications?

Yes, a BLDC motor rotor can be optimized for specific applications by adjusting factors such as the number of rotor poles, the strength and placement of permanent magnets, and the shape and size of the rotor. This can help achieve the desired performance and efficiency for a particular use.