Need Help with MathCAD? Formulas Not Matching Results - Requesting Assistance

• Thread starter rottbull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathcad
In summary: It also may not help too much in finding out what's wrong with a worksheet. A problem with the very math-like notation that Mathcad uses is that some errors are not readily discernible from just looking at the worksheet as completely different expressions can look visually the same. For example, an indexed array element can look just like a subscripted name, and an implied multiplication (no visible operator) can look just like a function application. There is no real substitute for looking at the worksheet in many cases.
rottbull
I am looking for somebody who knows how to use math cad because I have forwarded the formulas of a form and it does not give me the same result as in my form

I can send you the doc to help me

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
rottbull said:
I am looking for somebody who knows how to use math cad because I have forwarded the formulas of a form and it does not give me the same result as in my form

I can send you the doc to help me

thank you

Can you post the document on the forum (and the worksheet (you will have to zip it))?

I am not sure what you are trying to proove, but if something does not look right...I would type the formulas in a different piece of software to see if mathcad is giving you the right answer or not...I would use either an excel spreadsheet (for ease) or I would work in Python or Fortran or Freemat, something completely different...unless of course, you want to find out if YOUR INSTANCE of mathcad might be the one that is corrupted.

But if you all you are trying to find out is if the equations have been entered correctly or not...I would use a different program to validate your mathcad output.

gsal said:
I am not sure what you are trying to proove, but if something does not look right...I would type the formulas in a different piece of software to see if mathcad is giving you the right answer or not...I would use either an excel spreadsheet (for ease) or I would work in Python or Fortran or Freemat, something completely different...unless of course, you want to find out if YOUR INSTANCE of mathcad might be the one that is corrupted.

But if you all you are trying to find out is if the equations have been entered correctly or not...I would use a different program to validate your mathcad output.

That opens up the possibility of a systematic error being introduced into both programs or a different error. It also consumes time!

It also may not help too much in finding out what's wrong with a worksheet. A problem with the very math-like notation that Mathcad uses is that some errors are not readily discernible from just looking at the worksheet as completely different expressions can look visually the same. For example, an indexed array element can look just like a subscripted name, and an implied multiplication (no visible operator) can look just like a function application. There is no real substitute for looking at the worksheet in many cases.

NR

(Not that I'm against multiple, independent ways of checking - I do it myself - but it's not always of particular help).

That's funny, Nemo...it looks to me that you actually made my point, although the "tone" of you writing might have tried to advocate against it. Or I am missing something.

First, there is no such thing as a systematic error being introduced into two different systems...that's the good thing about being force to type the same formulas into two different systems...if you know what you are doing, with the formulas AND the system...then you should get it right on both.

Also, it is funny that you said that "there is no real substitute for looking at the [mathcad] worksheet" when right before you indicated several traps with some similar looking equations with different meaning...

...so, to that end...there is nothing like good old plain text looking equations like the ones you would need to put together with python, for example.

Anyway...now for the now for the one piece of advice I always give: "Baby steps...baby steps".

rottbull: I would recommend you start typing your equations in a different piece of software; you don't need to type EVERYTHING...just one at a time until you find where your answers start diverging between the two systems...that where your problem will be.

gsal said:
That's funny, Nemo...it looks to me that you actually made my point, although the "tone" of you writing might have tried to advocate against it. Or I am missing something.
I think so.

First, there is no such thing as a systematic error being introduced into two different systems...
There most certainly is. I've done it myself and I've encountered in many times. If I've misread the original text or operated from a given set of incorrect assumptions, then all I will get by implementing my interpretation in n different languages is n + k (where k = number of debugs) different wrong results (and maybe not even the same final wrong result!)

that's the good thing about being force to type the same formulas into two different systems...if you know what you are doing, with the formulas AND the system...then you should get it right on both.
Your 'if' and 'should' are noted.

Also, it is funny that you said that "there is no real substitute for looking at the [mathcad] worksheet" when right before you indicated several traps with some similar looking equations with different meaning...
In what way is it funny? I have considerable experience of looking at other people's worksheets and many errors arise from inadvertent use of literal v indicial subscripts or implied multiplication v function calls. They are the kind of thing that new users haven't yet gained familiarity with (or don't yet know) and for experienced users they form the equivalent of the 'missing semi-colon' so beloved of other languages.

...so, to that end...there is nothing like good old plain text looking equations like the ones you would need to put together with python, for example.
The problem with good old plain text, and the major reason I avoid it like the plague, is that it is often verbose and long expressions get difficult to write correctly and read correctly. There is a reason Mathematics uses more concise notation than FORTRAN and don't get me started on Excel! One of the reasons I use Mathcad is that it is a lot easier to write and verify the implementation against the specification and easier for non-programmers to validate the implementation - summation, integral and factorial operators look familiar and are easier to interpret than code, particularly when the results are presented right alongside.

Anyway...now for the now for the one piece of advice I always give: "Baby steps...baby steps".
No disagreement from me there.

rottbull: I would recommend you start typing your equations in a different piece of software; you don't need to type EVERYTHING...just one at a time until you find where your answers start diverging between the two systems...that where your problem will be.
I would recommend taking those baby steps in Mathcad in the first instance. Break the problem down into smaller steps (indeed, in many cases, this is just a simple matter of evaluating the worksheet at each stage) and check the results make sense.

I would only resort to another language when getting really bogged down; I learned Python, J, C, C++, C#, FORTRAN, multiple dialects of Basic, Pascal, Modula, ADA, FORTH, LISP,PROLOG, Assembler and goodness knows what else by working within the languages.

Still, different horse are suited for different courses and it may be that gsal's method works better for you.

NM

1. What is MathCAD and what is it used for?

MathCAD is a computer software program that allows users to solve, analyze, and document complex mathematical equations and calculations. It is commonly used in engineering, science, and mathematics fields.

2. How do I get started with MathCAD?

To get started with MathCAD, you will need to download and install the software on your computer. Once installed, you can open the program and begin creating worksheets to input your mathematical equations and calculations.

3. Can I use MathCAD for both numerical and symbolic calculations?

Yes, MathCAD allows for both numerical and symbolic calculations. You can input numerical values as well as use variables and symbolic expressions to solve equations and perform calculations.

4. Are there any tutorials or resources available to help me learn MathCAD?

Yes, there are many tutorials and resources available online to help you learn how to use MathCAD. You can also refer to the user manual or seek help from online forums and communities.

5. Is MathCAD compatible with other software programs?

MathCAD is compatible with other software programs, such as Microsoft Excel and MATLAB. You can import and export data between MathCAD and other programs to streamline your calculations and analysis.