Need help with ODE and Existence and Uniqueness Thm

In summary, the conversation is about the existence and uniqueness theorem in regards to a specific initial value problem involving a differential equation. The conversation concludes that the theorem cannot guarantee a unique solution in this case, as there are at least two solutions that fulfill the initial value problem. One solution is y=0 and the other is y=\frac{1}{16}((1+x)^2-4)^2.
uart
Science Advisor
Need help with ODE and "Existence and Uniqueness Thm"

I'm currently helping my neice study for her exams and going though last years test there was this one question that I wasn't sure about.

-------------
Considering the initial value problem,

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = f(x,y)[/tex]

Where [tex]f(x,y) = (1+x) \sqrt{y}[/tex] and y(1)=0.

Does the "Existence and Uniqueness Theorem" guarantee the existence of a unique solution?
-------------

I'm pretty sure that the theorem they are referring to is this one,
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PicardsExistenceTheorem.html
See also,
http://www.utpb.edu/scimath/wkfield/mod3/Exuni.htm

I'm thinking that it (the Theorem) doesn't guarantee a unique solution because [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex] is not well defined at the initial condition y=0.

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with this "Existence and Uniqueness" theorem. Also the DE does seem to have a well defined solution of y(x)=0 for x>=1, so I'm really not sure. Can anyone help me out here, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
you are quite right; the theorem cannot be used here to guarantee a unique solution.
In this case, you have (at least) two solutions fulfilling the initial value problem:
[itex]y_{1}(x)=0, y_{2}(x)=\frac{1}{16}((1+x)^{2}-4)^{2}[/itex]

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer arildno. I can see how you got the two solutions, y=0 by inspection and the other y = 1/16 (x^2 + 2x -3)^2 by seperating and integrating. Yes, now the question makes sense and it nicely shows the theorem in action. Thanks again :)

Last edited:

Related to Need help with ODE and Existence and Uniqueness Thm

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or Ordinary Differential Equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. How do you solve an ODE?

There are several methods for solving ODEs, including separation of variables, substitution, and using numerical techniques such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. The appropriate method to use depends on the specific form and complexity of the ODE.

3. What is the Existence and Uniqueness Theorem for ODEs?

The Existence and Uniqueness Theorem states that for a given initial value problem, there exists a unique solution to the ODE that satisfies the initial conditions if the function and its derivatives are continuous in the specified domain.

4. Why is the Existence and Uniqueness Theorem important?

The Existence and Uniqueness Theorem is important because it guarantees the existence of a solution to a given ODE, and also ensures that the solution is unique. This allows for the use of ODEs in various real-world applications with confidence in the accuracy of the results.

5. What are some applications of ODEs?

ODEs have a wide range of applications in various fields, including modeling population growth, predicting the motion of celestial bodies, analyzing electrical circuits, and studying chemical reactions. They are also used in engineering to design and optimize systems such as bridges and buildings.