Mixing CP asymmetry calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the mixing-induced CP asymmetry for the decay ##\bar{B^0_s}\rightarrow D^+_s \pi^-##. The equations used include the expression for the asymmetry, the definition of the CKM phase ##\phi_s##, and the parametrization of amplitudes. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in finding the decay ##B^0_s\rightarrow D^+_s \pi^-## in the pdg and the discussion of different topologies and diagrams for this decay.
Valeriia Lukashenko

Homework Statement

Consider decay ##\bar{B^0_s}\rightarrow D^+_s \pi^-## and calculate its mixing-induces CP asymmetry.

Homework Equations

$$\xi_f^{s}=e^{i\theta_{M_{12}}} \frac{A(\bar{B^0_q}\rightarrow f)}{A(B^0_q \rightarrow f)}=\pm e^{-i\phi_s}\frac{ e^{i\phi_1}|A_1|e^{i\delta_1}+e^{i\phi_2}|A_2|e^{i\delta_2}}{e^{-i\phi_1}|A_1|e^{i\delta_1}+e^{-i\phi_2}|A_2|e^{i\delta_2}}$$

$$\phi_s=2\arg(V^*_{ts}V_{tb})$$

##\phi_1, \phi_2## are CKM phases.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I could easily draw diagram for ##\bar{B^0_s}\rightarrow D^+_s \pi^-##, but I got stuck on drawing ##B^0_s \rightarrow D^+_s \pi^-##. I couldn't find this decay in pdg. But I need it to evaluate ## \xi_f^{s}##. How should I evaluate ##B^0_s\rightarrow D^+_s \pi^-## amplitude then?
1e0dc56f2df2.png

Attachments

• 1e0dc56f2df2.png
    1e0dc56f2df2.png
    6 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a diagram with a second virtual W and a virtual quark, for example.

I guess you were referring to penguin topologies, but I don't get how to draw properly, so I did this diagram, which has virtual quark for sure (I don't know how to understand if W are virtual). Is it okay? I haven't seen such diagrams so far.
8dpsu8wzex93d3h32in8dxcmu.png

then my both decays have different topologies. Do I still have the right to parametrize my amplitudes in form ## A = e^{i \phi_{CKM}} |A_f| e^{i\delta_f}##?

Attachments

• 8dpsu8wzex93d3h32in8dxcmu.png
    8dpsu8wzex93d3h32in8dxcmu.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 378
There is not enough mass to make a real W, and no W is an external line - they are all virtual.

There is at least one more diagram of this type. It is an odd decay to look at. With a kaon instead of a pion it is studied.

The diagrams don’t have loops - no penguin diagram.

1. What is CP asymmetry and why is it important?

CP asymmetry, or charge-parity asymmetry, is the difference in the behavior of matter and antimatter particles under the combined operations of charge conjugation (C) and parity transformation (P). It is important because it helps explain the dominance of matter over antimatter in our universe and can provide insights into fundamental physics theories.

2. How is CP asymmetry calculated in mixing processes?

CP asymmetry in mixing processes is typically calculated using the time-dependent approach, which involves comparing the decay rates of a particle and its antiparticle over time. This can be done through measuring the difference in decay rates or using other methods such as the BaBar experiment's time-dependent Dalitz plot analysis.

3. What are the factors that affect CP asymmetry in mixing processes?

Several factors can affect CP asymmetry in mixing processes, including the initial state of the particles, the decay amplitudes, and the interference between different decay pathways. The presence of CP violation and other physics phenomena can also impact the calculated asymmetry.

4. How do experimental uncertainties and statistical fluctuations affect CP asymmetry measurements?

Experimental uncertainties and statistical fluctuations can have a significant impact on CP asymmetry measurements. These can arise from various sources, such as detector limitations, background events, and statistical errors in the data. Careful analysis and statistical techniques are needed to account for these uncertainties and obtain accurate measurements of CP asymmetry.

5. What are the current challenges in calculating CP asymmetry?

One of the main challenges in calculating CP asymmetry is the complexity of the underlying physics processes. Many mixing processes involve multiple particles with different decay pathways, making it difficult to accurately model and calculate the asymmetry. Additionally, experimental limitations and statistical uncertainties can also pose challenges in obtaining precise measurements of CP asymmetry.