Need to change display colors in Octave 5.1

In summary, the conversation revolves around the issue of changing the colors in the Octave 5.1 editor for better visibility. While there is a Command Line Interface (CLI) version available, the focus is on changing the colors in the GUI version. The solution is to go to Edit --> Preferences and navigate to the "Editor Styles" under the "Editor" tab to change the colors for better visibility. This option is also available under the "Command" tab for the CLI version.
Dr.D
TL;DR Summary
The white background is too bright for long hours of use. The orange on while text used in the editor does not have enough contrast and is very difficult to read. Does anyone how to change these properties?
I'm running Octave 5.1 on a Win10 system. I find the white background for the editor has far too much glare for old eyes. The orange text used in the editor does not have good contrast with the white background. I could go on, but I'm sure you can see where I want to go. Does anyone know how to change the properties? (I'm fairly new to Octave, so not an old hand in this regard at all.) Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Although the Octave GUI is more useful, you should also have a CLI (Command Line Interface) that is generally installed along with the GUI. Maybe use that? It is like CMD - white text on black background.

Yes, I have the CLI version, but is it possible to develop a script using CLI? For most of my work, I want to develop script files that can be run repeatedly with variations on the input data.

It is the GUI version where I particularly need to change colors, but thanks for the suggestion.

Found it!

Go to Edit --> Preferences. Now, you have the tabs "Editor" and "Command".

Choose Editor and scroll down. You will find "Editor Styles". Under that, choose the Octave tab. Change the colours for the "Default" option. The first set is for Text Colours, while the second set is for Background Colours.

octave.png

You can change the same under the Command tab:

1567260201435.png

Wow! Thank you. I'll have a go at that this afternoon after I take my daughter to the airport. This should be a big help to me.

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. How do I change the display colors in Octave 5.1?

To change the display colors in Octave 5.1, you can use the "set" command followed by the "color" option and the specific color you want to use. For example, if you want to change the color of your plot to red, you can use the command "set(color, 'red')." You can also use RGB values or color names for more customization.

2. Can I change the display colors for specific elements in Octave 5.1?

Yes, you can use the "set" command to change the colors for specific elements in Octave 5.1. For example, if you want to change the color of the axes in your plot, you can use the command "set(gca, 'color', 'blue')" to make the axes blue.

3. How do I save my customized display colors in Octave 5.1?

To save your customized display colors in Octave 5.1, you can use the "saveas" command and specify the file format you want to save it as (e.g. PNG, JPEG, etc.). This will save your current plot with the custom colors you have set.

4. Can I change the default display colors in Octave 5.1?

Yes, you can change the default display colors in Octave 5.1 by creating a startup file and adding the "set" commands for your desired colors. This will ensure that every time you open Octave, the display colors will be set to your preferences.

5. How can I revert back to the default display colors in Octave 5.1?

To revert back to the default display colors in Octave 5.1, you can use the "unset" command followed by the "color" option. This will remove any custom colors that have been set and revert back to the default ones.