Need to find final Height, Equation not Working

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of kinematic equations to solve a problem involving an object's height, taking into account the effects of gravity. The equations used to find the object's final height are d=(vi)(t)+1/2(g)(t)^2 for vertical distance and Sf = S0 + V0Δt for horizontal distance. The latter equation does not take into account the effects of gravity and should only be used for finding horizontal distance.
Lapse

Homework Statement

upload_2019-2-17_11-18-21.png

Homework Equations

The kinematic equations--namely, Sf = S0 + V0Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am a bit confused as it seems this problem is very straight-forward.
My known variables:
X0 = 0m
Y0 = 1.7m
Δt = 3.92s
V0 = 29m/s
Θ = 60ο
Yf = ?

So, I just use the above equation for the y-component:

Yf = Y0 + V0y(Δt)

Yf = 1.7m + 29sin(60) * 3.92s

My final answer is in the hundreds, but the correct answer is 24.85m. Can someone steer me in the right direction, and also tell me why the equation I used doesn't work?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-17_11-18-21.png
    upload_2019-2-17_11-18-21.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 509
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I solved the problem by using Δy = V0yt + 1/2(a)(t2)

My only question, then, is why doesn't the other equation I used work? And when should I use that other equation?

Thanks.

Likes Zack K
You should use the form d=(vi)(t)+1/2(g)(t)^2, because you have to take into account that gravity will affect the height reached over the time period.

Lapse said:
Okay, I solved the problem by using Δy = V0yt + 1/2(a)(t2)

My only question, then, is why doesn't the other equation I used work? And when should I use that other equation?

Thanks.
I think it's because your equation assumes that the object travels in a linear path without the affect of gravity.

Likes Lapse
Zack K said:
You should use the form d=(vi)(t)+1/2(g)(t)^2, because you have to take into account that gravity will affect the height reached over the time period.

Understood. So would the other equation only be used for finding horizontal distance since gravity doesn't affect the x-component?

Lapse said:
Understood. So would the other equation only be used for finding horizontal distance since gravity doesn't affect the x-component?
Exactly :)

1. Why is my equation not working to find my final height?

There could be several reasons why your equation is not working. It could be a mistake in your calculations, using the wrong equation, or incorrect input values. Double check your work and make sure all variables are correct.

2. What equation should I use to calculate my final height?

The equation you use will depend on the specific situation. If you are calculating the final height of a falling object, you would use the equation h = h0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where h0 is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time. However, if you are calculating the final height after a growth spurt, you would use the equation hf = hi + (hi * r), where hf is the final height, hi is the initial height, and r is the growth rate.

3. How do I know if my final height calculation is accurate?

To ensure accuracy, you should check your work and make sure all variables are correct and you are using the correct equation. Additionally, you can compare your calculated final height to an established reference or use multiple equations to verify your result.

4. Can I use a calculator to find my final height?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find your final height. However, make sure you are using the correct equation and inputting the correct values to get an accurate result.

5. What are the units for final height?

The units for final height will depend on the units of your other variables in the equation. For example, if your initial height is in meters and your acceleration is in meters per second squared, then your final height would also be in meters.