Needing advice on what path to follow

• Thread starter cytochrome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, the individual has a broad research interest in predicting macroscopic phenomena through microscopic structure, particularly in materials and fluids. They are interested in using computational methods and physical principles to design better materials for various properties. They have considered majors in materials science, condensed matter physics, chemical engineering, and physical chemistry, and are seeking advice on which undergraduate major would best suit their interests. They are also interested in specializing in biophysics within the physics department.
cytochrome
Hi guys. My long term goals including going to grad school and going into academia.

I'm at a point in my undergrad curriculum where I need to declare a major for sure. I've jumped around a lot in the past 2 years between chemistry, math, physics, and chemical engineering. My first 2 research experiences were in biophysics, which I loved. I'm now doing molecular modeling in the chemE department, which I love even more.INTERESTS
I have a broad research interest that includes predicting macroscopic phenomena via microscopic structure, as well as relating these two things. I'm interested in this concept applied to fluids, solids, macromolecules, etc... If someone wants any material with any property, I want to be able to predict what this material consists of by computations at the molecular level. For example, creating better optical materials, biomaterials, magnetic materials, energetic materials, semiconductors, etc... I'm interested in all of these things but particularly in the theoretical design of these materials using physical principles. Basically, I want to create better ways theoretically determine the components (atoms, molecules, etc.) for a material, fluid, or macromolecule of any given property. Making connections between the microscopic and macroscopic world is of huge interest, as well as the mesoscopic length where the dominance of quantum and classical effects become blurred.My Thoughts
Given my huge obsession with materials, I think Materials Science and Engineering is an obvious choice. Research in this field doesn't seem too fundamental, however, so I was thinking condensed matter physics. Chemical engineering is too concerned with economically producing mass amounts of materials and is not very science based... Physical chemistry, however, is just plain awesome in my opinion.
Can someone please view my interests and let me know what academic major and/or graduate program would be best suited for me? Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid my first post is too long.

I want to computationally design materials and fluids with any given desired property (biomedical, electrical, optical, magnetic, stiff, soft, etc...) starting from the atomic level. I also want to design theories and methods to more efficiently carry out this task.

Does anyone know which undergraduate major is best suited for this? Physics + minor in Mat Sci? Mat Sci + minor in physics? Chemistry?

this depends strongly on what you want to model. Modeling semiconductors requires a TOTALLY different set of skills from modeling polymers and biomolecules which requires a TOTALLY different set of skills from simulating spectroscopy experiments.

if you like biophysics, do biophysics specialization (if that exists) in the physics department.

1. What steps can I take to figure out the right path for me?

The first step is to do some self-reflection and think about your interests, values, and goals. You can also research different career paths and talk to people who are currently working in fields that interest you. Additionally, gaining experience through internships or volunteer work can help you determine your strengths and passions.

2. How do I know if I am making the right decision?

While there is no guarantee that any decision will be the perfect one, it's important to trust your instincts and consider all the factors involved. Make a list of pros and cons and think about how each path aligns with your values and goals. It's also helpful to seek advice from trusted mentors or professionals in the field.

3. What if I am interested in multiple paths?

It's common to have multiple interests and passions, and it's okay to explore different paths before making a decision. Consider which path aligns best with your long-term goals and which one brings you the most fulfillment. You may also want to consider combining different interests or pursuing a career that allows for flexibility and growth in different areas.

4. How can I overcome fear or uncertainty about choosing a path?

Making a decision about your future can be daunting and it's normal to feel anxious or uncertain. To overcome these fears, try to focus on the present and take things one step at a time. Remind yourself that it's okay to change your mind and that every experience, even if it doesn't lead to your ideal path, can help you grow and learn more about yourself.

5. What resources are available to help me make a decision?

There are many resources available to help you make a decision, such as career counselors, online assessments, and informational interviews with professionals. You can also reach out to your university's career center or attend career fairs to learn about different industries and opportunities. Remember to also utilize your personal network and ask for advice and recommendations from friends, family, and mentors.