Needing help in choosing high school courses

In summary, Needing help in choosing high school courses!Some people recommend taking the IB diploma program in order to get more out of high school. Other people recommend taking the AP course pathway. It depends on the individual and the school they are attending.
Bazinga98
Needing help in choosing high school courses!

I am currently a freshman going into my sophomore year. Since I was in the seventh grade, I knew I wanted to pursue some kind of career in Physics. By now I have narrowed down to a career in Astrophysics or Theoretical Physics. My problem is choosing the right high school courses in order to prepare myself for these careers. I have been debating whether I should take the IB programme or just AP courses at my high school. At my high school, their highest level of Physics is Physics C-Mechanics whereas in IB, they offer Physics (HL). Which pathway of education should I follow?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which course let's you learn the most? Choose that one. You make it sound as IB would be that choice.

I can speak from experience, as I took the IB diploma program. It depends slightly per school, but in general, IB is much, much better than just AP classes. IB HL, which does not require calculus, covers very cool and relevant topics that AP-C does not. You also have the amazing opportunity of doing an EE in Physics. Not to mention that you will be a well-round student after things like CAS and ToK, which colleges love. IB is absolutely worth the workload.

I guess I'll give the opposing opinion for AP, which is what I am taking. Ap Physics C is calculus based and, as far as I know, more rigorous than IB. This is why most universities will give credit for getting a 4/5 on the exam while I do not think similar credit is granted for IB Physics HL. It is true that physics C only covers mechanics and (depending on the school) E&M but it explores these topics in depth. Also, I disagree with generalities such as "IB is much, much better than just AP classes" since you really have to compare AP vs IB classes on an individual classes. Sometimes IB classes will be superior to AP and vice versa. I found this comparison interesting: http://www.usc-waves.org/joomla/dmdocuments/IBvsAPphysics.pdf

Some colleges have specific scholarships for IB students as well.

Having tried the IB (I switched to A-Levels), I don't think it's worth your while if you're in the US, and are looking to do physics, when you can just take AP calculus and physics (both exams, mechanics and E&M, are calc-based, no?), and on top of that, cross-register for *more math/physics* classes at the local college/community college.

Your goal is to learn and get into a "good" college. You don't need a huge time sink like the IB for that.

Do yourself a favor and read this:
http://calnewport.com/blog/2010/02/...acurricular-activities-in-college-admissions/

http://calnewport.com/blog/2008/04/...g-research-time-and-the-art-of-becoming-good/

His book is also incredible, and I wish I had both the Superstar one and the Straight-A student one when I started secondary school. (i.e, 6th grade here)

Thank you all so much for your replies! I have asked so many teachers about this concern, but not even my teachers can give me enough insight on what to do. So again, thank you!

Related to Needing help in choosing high school courses

1. What courses should I take in high school?

The courses you should take in high school will depend on your personal interests, career goals, and any specific requirements for your future education or career. It is recommended to take a balance of core subjects (English, math, science, and social studies) as well as elective courses that align with your interests and passions.

2. How many courses should I take in high school?

The number of courses you should take in high school may vary depending on your school's graduation requirements and your personal goals. In general, most high schools require students to take around 6-8 courses per year. However, some students may choose to take additional courses or participate in dual enrollment programs to earn college credit.

3. What are the benefits of taking advanced or AP courses in high school?

Taking advanced or AP courses in high school can provide many benefits, such as challenging yourself academically, preparing for college-level coursework, and potentially earning college credit. These courses can also demonstrate to colleges and future employers that you are capable of handling rigorous coursework and are motivated to succeed.

4. Should I take courses that I'm not interested in, but are recommended for college?

It is important to consider your personal interests and passions when choosing high school courses. However, it is also important to be aware of any specific course requirements for colleges or universities you may be interested in attending. If possible, try to find a balance between taking courses that align with your interests and also fulfill potential college requirements.

5. Can I change my high school course selections later on?

It is often possible to change your high school course selections, especially if it is done early on in the school year. However, it is important to check with your school's guidance counselor or academic advisor to ensure that changing courses will not affect your graduation requirements or academic progress. It is also helpful to discuss any potential course changes with your parents or guardians beforehand.