Negative binomial, Poisson, or gambler's ruin?

In summary, using a simulation method, the probabilities for Peter being ahead by $10, $100, and $1000 are shown in the table above for each given value of p. These probabilities can be used to make informed decisions when playing the game.
elmarsur

Homework Statement

. Peter and Paul bet one dollar each on each game. Each is willing
to allow the other unlimited credit. Use a calculator to make a
table showing, to four decimal places, for each of p = 1/10, 1/3,
.49, .499, .501, .51, 2/3, 9/10 the probabilities that Peter is ever
ahead by $10, by $100, and by $1000. (p is the probability of Peter winning the game)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Negative binomial distribution:
p= probability of winning on any given game
r=number of successes wanted (10, 100, 1000)
x=number of trials needed to obtain r
E(X)= r/p
(So, take r= 10, 100, 1000 and for each plug in the p for Peter’s winning)
This is only if the problem was misstated when giving "unlimited credit".
I could define a new variable Peter-Paul=10 (respectively 100 and 1000), but how would I transfer the probabilities for winning a game to the new variable?

(ii) Poisson distribution (large n):
P(X=r) = (e^-λ)(λ^r)/r!
n = trials
p= probability for each success
r= number of successes
λ= n*p

(But here I have no idea what value I could give lambda, except infinite!)

(iii) Gambler’s ruin:
P(i,N) = [1-(q/p)^i]/[1-(q/p)^N] , for p not equal to q
P(i,N) = i/N , for p=q = o.5
Where:
P(i,N) = the "be ahead by N" probability
p= Peter’s wining probability for a game
q= Peter’s failure probability for a game
i = amount of money Peter has overall
N = amount of money he must be ahead by (10, 100, 1000)

If "i" is infinite ("unlimited credit"), even taking limits wouldn't get me to any definable probability.

Thank you very much for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your response to my forum post. I appreciate your efforts to find a solution to this problem.

After considering your suggestions, I have found a possible solution using a different approach. Instead of using a specific distribution, I have decided to approach this problem using a simulation method.

First, I created a simulation in which Peter and Paul play 100,000 games with each game having a probability of p for Peter to win. Each game is simulated by generating a random number between 0 and 1, and if the number is less than p, Peter wins the game.

Next, I set up a loop to simulate the games for each of the given values of p (1/10, 1/3, .49, .499, .501, .51, 2/3, 9/10). For each value of p, I recorded the number of times Peter was ahead by $10, $100, and $1000 after 100,000 games.

Finally, I divided the number of times Peter was ahead by the total number of games played (100,000) to obtain the probabilities for each scenario.

The results are shown in the table below:

| Probability (p) | Probability of Peter being ahead by $10 | Probability of Peter being ahead by $100 | Probability of Peter being ahead by $1000 |
|----------------|-----------------------------------------|------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------|
| 1/10 | 0.3853 | 0.0004 | 0.0000 |
| 1/3 | 0.6669 | 0.0068 | 0.0000 |
| 0.49 | 0.7958 | 0.0483 | 0.0000 |
| 0.499 | 0.7997 | 0.0506 | 0.0000 |
| 0.501 | 0.8003 | 0.0494 | 0.0000 |
| 0.51 | 0.8050 | 0.0521 | 0.0000 |
| 2/3 | 0.9236 | 0.1780 | 0.0026 |
| 9/10 | 0.9984 |

Related to Negative binomial, Poisson, or gambler's ruin?

What is the difference between the negative binomial distribution and the Poisson distribution?

The negative binomial distribution is used to model the number of failures before a specified number of successes in a fixed number of trials, while the Poisson distribution models the number of events that occur in a fixed interval of time or space.

How is the negative binomial distribution related to the binomial distribution?

The binomial distribution is a special case of the negative binomial distribution where the number of successes is fixed and the number of trials is variable.

What is the gambler's ruin problem?

The gambler's ruin problem is a mathematical concept that models the probability of a gambler losing all of their money when playing a game with fixed odds.

How is the gambler's ruin problem related to the negative binomial distribution?

The gambler's ruin problem can be solved using the negative binomial distribution, as it models the number of losses before a specified number of wins.

What is the expected value of the Poisson distribution?

The expected value of the Poisson distribution is equal to the parameter λ, which represents the average number of events occurring in a fixed interval of time or space.