Net electric forces on a point charge

In summary, to find the force on charge Q3 in the given figure, you can use Coulomb's law and sum the forces on Q3 from Q1 and Q2. This will give you the total force on Q3.
Colts

Homework Statement

In the figure, what is the force on charge Q3?
Q1 = 5×10-6C, Q2 = -3×10-6C, Q3 = 4×10-6C
http://www.usi.edu/science/physics/pickett/206/4p2f1.jpg

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could just find the charges on q1 and 3 and then on 2 and 3 and add them but I don't think that is right. Can you just add electrical forces?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Colts said:

Homework Statement

In the figure, what is the force on charge Q3?
Q1 = 5×10-6C, Q2 = -3×10-6C, Q3 = 4×10-6C
http://www.usi.edu/science/physics/pickett/206/4p2f1.jpg

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could just find the charges on q1 and 3 and then on 2 and 3 and add them but I don't think that is right. Can you just add electrical forces?

Yes, use Coulomb's law and sum the 2 forces on Q3 to get the total force on Q3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Net electric forces on a point charge

What is a point charge?

A point charge is a fundamental concept in physics that represents a charged particle with a negligible size. It is used to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of electric fields and forces.

What is an electric force?

An electric force is the attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It is caused by the interaction of their electric fields and can be calculated using Coulomb's law.

How is the net electric force on a point charge calculated?

The net electric force on a point charge is calculated by adding up all the individual electric forces acting on the charge. This can be done using vector addition, taking into account the magnitude and direction of each force.

What factors affect the net electric force on a point charge?

The net electric force on a point charge is affected by the magnitude of the charge, the distance between the particles, and the presence of other charges in the surrounding environment. It is also influenced by the medium in which the charges are located.

How does the net electric force on a point charge affect its motion?

If the net electric force on a point charge is non-zero, it will experience an acceleration in the direction of the force. The magnitude of the acceleration depends on the mass of the charge and the strength of the force.