Net force acting on a piston shaft of an actuator

In summary, the problem involves a cylindrical piston shaft held inside an actuator with compressed air at 100 psi acting on it. The goal is to calculate the speed at which the shaft will eject and shoot upwards from the actuator. The net force can be calculated using the formula Net Force = ma, but the coefficient of friction between the piston shaft and the inside wall of the actuator does not provide enough information to determine the normal force. The length of the actuator is 10 inches, but additional information or direct experimentation is needed to measure the frictional force accurately.
rajdeep1

Homework Statement

A cylindrical piston shaft weighs 250 g and is held vertically inside an actuator (We can assume actuator is a box with hollow cylindrical space to fit the piston shaft). Compressed air at 100 psi is supplied at the bottom of the actuator and is acting on the piston upwards with a force of 90 N. The coefficient of friction between the piston shaft and the inside wall of the actuator is 0.61. I need to calculate the speed by which the shaft will eject and shoot upwards from the actuator.

Homework Equations

Net Force= ma
d= ui*t+ 0.5*a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Net Force= 90N- 0.25*9.81 - Ff (I am not sure if this is the right way to calculate the net force. Also, not sure how to calculate the frictional force here, although I do know Ff= coeff* R)

Assuming I have a net force, I can easily find the acceleration and the distance it travels in a second.

Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a textbook question or a lab? There is not enough information. You will certainly need to know the length of the actuator.
The coefficient of friction doesn't help with no way to determine the normal force.

It is not a textbook question, it is more of a lab question. The length of the actuator is 10 inch.
Is there any other information that we need?
Thank you.

rajdeep1 said:
It is not a textbook question, it is more of a lab question. The length of the actuator is 10 inch.
Is there any other information that we need?
Thank you.
As I wrote, the coefficient of friction is no help since there is no obvious way to find the normal force between piston and cylinder. It would be more helpful simply to measure the frictional force.

haruspex said:
As I wrote, the coefficient of friction is no help since there is no obvious way to find the normal force between piston and cylinder. It would be more helpful simply to measure the frictional force.
Thank you. Could you please tell me the ways to measure the frictional force then?

rajdeep1 said:
Thank you. Could you please tell me the ways to measure the frictional force then?
By direct experiment.

1. What is a net force and how does it apply to a piston shaft of an actuator?

A net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all other forces acting on it. In the case of a piston shaft of an actuator, the net force is the combined effect of all the forces acting on the piston shaft, including the force exerted by the actuator itself, any external forces, and any opposing forces. This net force determines the motion of the piston shaft and the actuator as a whole.

2. How is the net force calculated for a piston shaft of an actuator?

The net force on a piston shaft of an actuator can be calculated by summing up all the individual forces acting on it. This includes the force exerted by the actuator, any external forces, and any opposing forces. If these forces are acting in the same direction, they can be added together. If they are acting in opposite directions, the larger force will be subtracted from the smaller force to determine the net force.

3. How does the net force affect the movement of a piston shaft in an actuator?

The net force acting on a piston shaft of an actuator determines the direction and speed of its movement. If the net force is greater than zero, the piston shaft will accelerate in the direction of the net force. If the net force is equal to zero, the piston shaft will remain at a constant velocity. If the net force is less than zero, the piston shaft will decelerate in the direction opposite to the net force.

4. What factors can affect the net force on a piston shaft of an actuator?

The net force on a piston shaft of an actuator can be affected by various factors, such as the strength of the actuator, the weight of the load being moved, the friction between the piston and its housing, and any external forces (such as gravity or air resistance). The angle at which the force is applied and the distance between the force and the pivot point of the actuator can also influence the net force.

5. How can the net force on a piston shaft of an actuator be optimized for efficient operation?

To optimize the net force on a piston shaft of an actuator, it is important to carefully consider the design and placement of the actuator, as well as the weight and resistance of the load being moved. Reducing friction and ensuring that the force is applied at the most effective angle and distance from the pivot point can also help to maximize the net force and improve the efficiency of the actuator.