Net Force Produced By Currents In Wire And Square Loop

In summary, a current-carrying wire and a square loop with a current are shown. The task is to calculate the net force acting on the loop. Using the equations for magnetic field and force, the net force is found to be 2.916666*10^-5 N. The person is worried about getting the answer wrong as they only have one attempt left. However, this answer has been confirmed to be correct.
JennV

Homework Statement

A long, straight wire carries a current of 14A. Next to the wire is a square loop with sides 1.0m in length, as shown in the figure. The loop carries a current of 2.5A in the direction indicated.

http://img69.imageshack.us/i/walker2260.jpg/

Calculate the magnitude of the net force acting on the loop.

Homework Equations

B = Uo*I / 2*pi*r
F= I*L*B

The Attempt at a Solution

B = (4pi*10^-7)(14A) / (2pi(0.2m)) = 1.4*10^-5 T
B = (4pi*10^-7)(14A) / (2pi(1.2m)) = 2.33*10^-6 T

B = (1.4*10^-5 T)-(2.33*10^-6 T) = 1.16666*10^-5

Fnet = (2.5A)(1.0m)(1.16666*10^-5 T) = 2.916666*10^-5 N

Did I do this right? I only have one attempt left, so I'm worried that I will get it wrong.
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is from a long time ago but for anyone else wondering the answer is correct. I know this because I just submitted it as an answer for a homework assignment (Mastering Physics) and I got it right.

Related to Net Force Produced By Currents In Wire And Square Loop

What is the net force produced by currents in a wire?

The net force produced by currents in a wire is determined by the right-hand rule, where the direction of the force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

How is the net force affected by the strength of the current?

The net force is directly proportional to the strength of the current. This means that as the current increases, the net force also increases.

What is the relationship between the net force and the length of the wire?

The net force is inversely proportional to the length of the wire. This means that as the length of the wire increases, the net force decreases.

How does the shape of the wire affect the net force?

The shape of the wire does not affect the net force if the direction of the current and magnetic field remains the same. However, if the shape of the wire changes, the direction of the force may also change.

How is the net force affected by a square loop compared to a straight wire?

The net force on a square loop is zero, as the forces acting on each side of the loop cancel out. In a straight wire, the net force is non-zero as there is only one side to consider.