Net Positive Charge on 1km Power Line

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a high voltage direct power line with two conductors suspended 3 meters apart. The lines are oppositely charged and the electric field at a point between them is given. The individual electric fields are calculated and summed to find the total electric field. After equating this with the given value, the excess positive charge on a 1 km length of positive conductor is determined. However, there is a discrepancy in the calculation and the correct answer is found to be half of the calculated value. This is because the two lines are considered to have equal but opposite charges, and the electric field from the negative line is in the opposite direction of the electric field from the positive line. This leads to a cancellation
Buffu

Homework Statement

Consider a high voltage direct power line which consist of two conductor suspended 3 meters apart. The lines are oppositely charged, If electric field halfway between them is ##15000N/C## how much is the excess positive charge on a 1 km length of positive conductor ?

Homework Equations

##\displaystyle E = {2Q \over y \sqrt{4y^2 + l^2}}##

where ##l## is length of wire, ##y## is the distance of the charge from the wire and the wire is kept on the x-axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

Electric field between the conductors will be sum of indiviual E fields, so I calculated indiviual E field and then took the sum.

##\displaystyle E_{+ve} = {4kQ \over 3 \sqrt{9 + 10^6}}##

##\displaystyle E_{-ve} {-4kq \over 3\sqrt{9 + 10^6}}##

Solve for ##Q - q## in ##E = E_{+ve} + E_{-ve}## I get ##1.25 \times 10^{-3} C##

But the given answer is ##6.26 \times 10^{-4} C##

Am I missing something ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are considering E at a point halfway between the two lines. How far is this point from each of the lines?

This distance is very small compared to the length of the lines. So, it is safe to treat the lines as "infinitely long".

Also, I believe the two lines are considered to have equal but opposite charges. Otherwise, the problem would not have a definite answer.

it seems like two infinity line charge,,,
at an infinity line charge, E is ##E = \frac {2 k λ} {a} ##
where λ is charge per length, and a is distance perpendicular from the line,
there're two oppositely lines, so ##2 E = 15000N/C## ,

Just for suggestion, by subtituting a, then from magnitude of λ, it would be determined the charge that excessed,,,

TSny said:
You are considering E at a point halfway between the two lines. How far is this point from each of the lines?

This distance is very small compared to the length of the lines. So, it is safe to treat the lines as "infinitely long".

Also, I believe the two lines are considered to have equal but opposite charges. Otherwise, the problem would not have a definite answer.

It does not matter much, I tried that also. I get roughly same as above.

I used ##E_{+ve} = {2k\lambda \over R} = 12\times 10^6 Q##

and ##E_{-ve} = -12 \times 10^6 q##.

I get the exact same answer when I equate ##E_{+ve} + E_{-ve} = 15000##

Last edited:
Are you now getting the correct answer? If not, are you using the correct distance for R?

TSny said:
Are you now getting the correct answer? If not, are you using the correct distance for R?
No I don't. I am using ##3/2## for the distance, I think it is correct.
Should I post complete calculation ?

Buffu said:
No I don't. I am using ##3/2## for the distance, I think it is correct.
OK
Should I post complete calculation?
Yes, please.

TSny said:
OK
Yes, please.
##\lambda = \dfrac{Q}{1000}##

##E_{+ve} = \dfrac{2k\lambda}{R} = \dfrac{2 \times 9 \times 10^9 }{3/2} \cdot \dfrac{Q}{1000} =## 12 x 10^6 Q

Similarly, we replace ##-q## for ##Q## and get ##E_{-ve} = -12 \times 10^6 q##

##E_t = E_{+ve} + E_{-ve} =12 \times 10^6 Q - 12 \times 10^6q \implies 1.5 \times 10^4= 12 \times 10^6 (Q - q) \implies Q -q = 1.25 \times 10^{-3} ##

You can assume that the charge on the negative line is equal in magnitude to the charge on the positive line. So, If Q is the charge on 1000 m of the positive line, then the charge on 1000 m of the negative line is -Q.

At a point halfway between the two lines, how does the magnitude of the electric field from the negative line compare to the magnitude of the electric field from the positive line?

How does the direction of the electric field from the negative line compare to the direction of the electric field from the positive line?

TSny said:
You can assume that the charge on the negative line is equal in magnitude to the charge on the positive line. So, If Q is the charge on 1000 m of the positive line, then the charge on 1000 m of the negative line is -Q.

At a point halfway between the two lines, how does the magnitude of the electric field from the negative line compare to the magnitude of the electric field from the positive line?

How does the direction of the electric field from the negative line compare to the direction of the electric field from the positive line?

If I am assuming ##Q =q## then how do we get excess positive charge ?

Won't then ##E_{+ve} = 12 \times 10^6 Q## and ##E_{-ve} = -12 \times 10^6 Q##

So ##E_t = 0 ## no ?

I am a bit confused now.

Buffu said:
If I am assuming ##Q =q## then how do we get excess positive charge ?
One of the power lines has a net positive charge. This net positive charge is the "excess positive charge" on that line. Likewise, the other line has "excess negative charge". The total charge of both lines together is zero. The question is asking for the excess charge on 1000 m of just the positively charged line.

Won't then ##E_{+ve} = 12 \times 10^6 Q## and ##E_{-ve} = -12 \times 10^6 Q##

So ##E_t = 0 ## no ?
Here you want to make sure to sketch a picture showing the parallel power lines and pick a point P midway between the lines. At P, draw a vector representing the electric field produced by the positively charged line. Then draw another vector at P for the electric field produced by the negatively charge line. Do the two electric field vectors at P point in the same direction or the opposite direction?

TSny said:
One of the power lines has a net positive charge. This net positive charge is the "excess positive charge" on that line. Likewise, the other line has "excess negative charge". The total charge of both lines together is zero. The question is asking for the excess charge on 1000 m of just the positively charged line.Here you want to make sure to sketch a picture showing the parallel power lines and pick a point P midway between the lines. At P, draw a vector representing the electric field produced by the positively charged line. Then draw another vector at P for the electric field produced by the negatively charge line. Do the two electric field vectors at P point in the same direction or the opposite direction?
##E_{+ve} = 12\times 10^6Q (-\hat j)##
##E_{-ve} = -12\times 10^6Q (-\hat j)##
##E_{t} = 0##

afasfasc.png

No ?

When you want to represent an electric field vector at a point P, the vector should be drawn with the tail of the vector at P. So, the vector representing the electric field at P due to the positively charged line should be drawn with the tail at P. Likewise for the electric field at P due to the negative power line. So, you should draw both the blue and red arrows starting on point P.

upload_2017-5-4_10-24-57.png

TSny said:
When you want to represent an electric field vector at a point P, the vector should be drawn with the tail of the vector at P. So, the vector representing the electric field at P due to the positively charged line should be drawn with the tail at P. Likewise for the electric field at P due to the negative power line. So, you should draw both the blue and red arrows starting on point P.

View attachment 198649

I would still draw both red and blue arrow going downwards (in same direction).

I think I should draw them in opposite direction to get the answer but I don't know why I should do that.

You are right that both arrows would point downward in the same direction. When you add those two vectors together, do the two vectors cancel to give a total field of zero?

ahh, I should get a vector of double length.

##E_{t} = (-\hat j) Q \times 10^6 (12 + 12) = 24 \times 10^6 Q (-\hat j) = 15 \times 10^3 (-\hat j ) \implies 6.25 \times 10^{-4}##

Are we done ?

Yes, that looks good!

TSny said:
Yes, that looks good!

Gosh thank god !

1. What is a net positive charge on a 1km power line?

A net positive charge on a 1km power line refers to the overall positive charge present on the surface of the power line. This charge is a result of the movement of electrons through the power line, leaving behind a net positive charge on the surface.

2. How does a net positive charge affect the performance of a power line?

A net positive charge on a power line can cause a phenomenon known as corona discharge, where the air around the power line becomes ionized and can lead to energy loss and damage to the power line. It can also attract dust and other particles, which can further affect the performance of the power line.

3. What can cause a power line to have a net positive charge?

A power line can have a net positive charge due to a variety of factors, including the weather conditions, such as high humidity or strong winds, as well as the material and construction of the power line itself. Other factors, such as nearby electrical equipment or lightning strikes, can also contribute to a net positive charge.

4. Can a net positive charge on a power line be dangerous?

While a net positive charge on a power line may not directly pose a danger to humans, it can potentially cause damage to the power line and affect its performance. In rare cases, it may also contribute to the occurrence of electrical accidents, so it is important to monitor and manage net positive charges on power lines.

5. How can a net positive charge on a power line be mitigated?

One way to mitigate a net positive charge on a power line is through the use of corona rings, which are metal rings placed at regular intervals along the power line to help dissipate the charge. Proper maintenance and monitoring of the power line can also help prevent the buildup of a net positive charge. Additionally, using materials with higher resistance to corona discharge can also help mitigate the effects of a net positive charge on a power line.