Neural Tube vs Dorsal Nerve Cord: What's the Difference?

In summary, the difference between the neural tube and dorsal nerve cord is that they are two terms used interchangeably to refer to the same structure in chordates. The neural tube or dorsal nerve cord is a hollow structure that forms during embryonic development and is the rudiment of the central nervous system in adult chordates. However, it is unclear if terms such as "ventral neural tube" and "ventral nerve cord" have the same meaning, as they may differ in different species. More research is needed to clarify this terminology.
gracy
Difference between neural tube and dorsal nerve cord?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
About 5 letters?Seriously though, what do you think the difference is? We're not here to spoon-feed.

even though my question was small but that doesn't mean i want spoon feeding i have searched a lot but didn't get the answer all that i could find is difference between dorsal nerve cord and notocord but not neural tube i thought may be dorsal nerve cord and neural tube both same but wikipedia has two different pages for both of it and it is not written anywhere that both are same so i seek an answer to all the experts here.

I searched on http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed for papers using both terms and found these. I think they are synonyms.

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/281/1794/20141729.long
(a) Traditional view

The prevailing view holds that the phylum Chordata consists of three subphyla: Urochordata (Tunicata), Cephalochordata and Vertebrata (figure 1a). All three groups are characterized by possession of a notochord, a dorsal, hollow neural tube (nerve cord), branchial slits, an endostyle, myotomes and a postanal tail.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/dvdy.1144/full
Neurulation occurs during the early embryogenesis of chordates, and it results in the formation of the neural tube, a dorsal hollow nerve cord that constitutes the rudiment of the entire adult central nervous system.

Last edited:
you have written dorsal hollow neural tube and then in bracket nerve cord, does that mean both dorsal hollow nerve cord and neural tube are one and the same thing right?

gracy said:
you have written dorsal hollow neural tube and then in bracket nerve cord, does that mean both dorsal hollow nerve cord and neural tube are one and the same thing right?

Those are my quotes from the linked papers. I am just as much of a non-expert as you, but looking up these papers, it seems that they understand neural tube and dorsal nerve cord to be the same thing.

What I don't know is whether "ventral neural tube" and "ventral nerve cord" mean the same thing, for example is "ventral neural tube" the ventral portion of a "dorsal nerve cord" in chordates, or does it refer to a "ventral nerve cord" in insects? For example, Fig. 1 of http://mcb.berkeley.edu/courses/mcbc245/MCBC245PDFs/March29/Arendtreview.pdf says "ventral nerve cord in a prototypical insect" and "dorsal neural tube in a prototypical vertebrate". So there I would take it to mean that it would be unusual to say "ventral neural tube" to mean "ventral nerve cord", but it's common to say "dorsal neural tube" means "dorsal nerve cord" So I would still be careful about terminology.

Last edited:

1. What is the neural tube and dorsal nerve cord?

The neural tube and dorsal nerve cord are both structures found in the central nervous system of vertebrates. They are tubular structures that are responsible for carrying nerve signals throughout the body.

2. What is the main difference between the neural tube and dorsal nerve cord?

The main difference between the neural tube and dorsal nerve cord is their location in the body. The neural tube is located in the head region, while the dorsal nerve cord runs along the back or dorsal side of the body.

3. What is the function of the neural tube and dorsal nerve cord?

The neural tube and dorsal nerve cord are both responsible for transmitting nerve signals throughout the body. They also play a crucial role in coordinating movement and sensory information.

4. Are there any other significant differences between the neural tube and dorsal nerve cord?

Another significant difference between the two structures is their developmental origins. The neural tube develops from the ectoderm, while the dorsal nerve cord develops from the neural crest cells.

5. How do the neural tube and dorsal nerve cord relate to each other?

The neural tube and dorsal nerve cord are closely related and work together to transmit nerve signals and control bodily functions. They also share similar structures, such as the presence of neurons and glial cells.