Neuronal Dynamics Passive membrane equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation in a passive membrane model. The author provides instructions for integrating the first model, but the solution is not achieved. The equation is then simplified and integrated to obtain a solution of $u = u_{\text{rest}} + RI_0(1 - e^{-t/T_m})$.
winterdrops
Hi guys,

I am able to solve dif equation of passive membrane model. But later, author says following instructions to integrate first model. Even though I can solve the dif equation of model, I couldn't achieve the solution.

Could you help me pls. Best regards.

Attachments

• Int1.jpg
    Int1.jpg
    882.9 KB · Views: 100
Physics news on Phys.org
Let $v = u - u_{\text{rest}}-RI_0$. Since $I(t) = I_0$, the equation becomes $T_m\, dv/dt = -v$, or $dv/v = -dt/T_m$. Integrating both sides, we obtain $\ln|v| = -t/T_m + C$ where $C$ is a constant. Thus $v = Ae^{-t/T_m}$ where $A$ is a constant. Since $v = -RI_0$ when $t = 0$, then $A = -RI_0$. Hence $v = -RI_0 e^{-t/T_m}$, or, $$u = u_{\text{rest}} + RI_0 - RI_0 e^{-t/T_m} = u_{\text{rest}} + RI_0(1 - e^{-t/T_m})$$

What is the Neuronal Dynamics Passive Membrane Equation?

The Neuronal Dynamics Passive Membrane Equation is a mathematical model that describes the electrical properties of a neuron's cell membrane. It takes into account the passive electrical properties of the cell membrane, such as its capacitance and resistance, and how these properties affect the flow of ions across the membrane.

Why is the Neuronal Dynamics Passive Membrane Equation important?

The Neuronal Dynamics Passive Membrane Equation is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of how neurons function. It helps us to understand how electrical signals are generated and propagated in neurons, which is crucial for understanding how the brain works and for developing treatments for neurological disorders.

How does the Neuronal Dynamics Passive Membrane Equation differ from the Active Membrane Equation?

The Neuronal Dynamics Passive Membrane Equation only takes into account the passive properties of the cell membrane, while the Active Membrane Equation also includes the effects of ion channels and pumps that actively transport ions across the membrane. This makes the Active Membrane Equation more complex, but it also allows for a more accurate representation of the behavior of real neurons.

What factors influence the parameters in the Neuronal Dynamics Passive Membrane Equation?

The parameters in the Neuronal Dynamics Passive Membrane Equation, such as membrane capacitance and resistance, are influenced by the physical properties of the cell membrane, such as its thickness and composition. These parameters can also be affected by external factors, such as temperature and the presence of certain drugs or toxins.

How is the Neuronal Dynamics Passive Membrane Equation used in research?

The Neuronal Dynamics Passive Membrane Equation is used in research to model and simulate the behavior of neurons in different conditions. By manipulating the parameters in the equation, researchers can study how changes in the cell membrane properties affect the electrical activity of neurons. This can provide insights into the underlying mechanisms of neurological disorders and help in the development of new treatments.