Neutralize chloramines in tap water

In summary, chloramines are a by-product of the water treatment process and adding ascorbic acid will remove them. It will take 1-2 days to neutralize 1L of water.
watersplit
Hi
I want to remove chloramines from tap water and I read it's possible to do by adding ascorbic acid in the water. Here is the source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramination#Removing_monochloramine_from_water

So I was wondering what substances are the chloramines being changed into (the by-products) during the process?
And how long time would it take to neutralize 1L of water (adding maximum 100mg ascorbic acid, which is more than enough)? The page of the provided address says it takes 1-2 days but it doesn't say how much water. Perhaps the amount of water doesn't matter?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Have you checked that you have chloramines in water, or are you still chasing things you don't understand?

Likes russ_watters
I have not performed any analysis on the water, but it is described in the website of the municipal water treatment plant that a small amount of chloramine is added.

watersplit said:
I have not performed any analysis on the water, but it is described in the website of the municipal water treatment plant that a small amount of chloramine is added.
How are you going to calculate how much neutralizer you need if you don't know how much is in it?

How do you know this is even something worth doing if you don't know how much is in it?

The page of the provided address says it takes 1-2 days.
That isn't what it says.

More info:
https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/05231301/05231301.html

watersplit said:
And you assume they don't know what they doing?

From your IP it seems like you live in one of the countries with safest drinkable water in the world. Traces are there to keep the water safe and to kill pathogens, and their levels are selected low so that the dose is not dangerous for people. I told you earlier: you won't make your water better than people that trained for many years do it for you.

Likes DaveE, berkeman, BillTre and 1 other person

1. How do chloramines form in tap water?

Chloramines are formed when ammonia and chlorine are combined in the water treatment process. This is done to disinfect the water and kill harmful bacteria.

2. Why do I need to neutralize chloramines in tap water?

Chloramines can have negative effects on aquatic life and can also cause skin irritation in humans. Therefore, it is important to neutralize them before using tap water for activities such as filling a fish tank or taking a bath.

3. What methods can be used to neutralize chloramines in tap water?

There are a few methods that can be used to neutralize chloramines in tap water, including using activated carbon filters, boiling the water, and adding a dechlorinating agent such as sodium thiosulfate.

4. How can I test for chloramines in tap water?

You can purchase a water testing kit specifically designed to test for chloramines, or you can send a sample of your tap water to a laboratory for testing.

5. Are there any health risks associated with chloramines in tap water?

While chloramines are generally considered safe for consumption, some studies have shown that long-term exposure to high levels of chloramines may increase the risk of certain health issues. It is therefore recommended to neutralize chloramines before using tap water for drinking or cooking.