Neutrino Oscillation: Solving for x,t

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of two neutrinos in the sun and the demonstration that their states satisfy a specific equation after propagating a distance x after a time t. The solution involves solving the time independent Schrodinger equation and then adding a time dependence factor. However, it is questioned why the final solution includes a term involving the initial position, as it seems redundant.
DeldotB

Homework Statement

Suppose that two neutrinos are created in the sun - call the states [itex] |{ \nu_1}\rangle [/itex] and [itex] |{ \nu_2}\rangle [/itex].

(Among many other things) I am asked to show that once the neutrinos have propigated a distance x after a time t, the states satisfy:

[itex] |{ \nu_1}(x,t)\rangle = e^{i \phi_1} | \nu_1(0,0) \rangle [/itex]
[itex] |{ \nu_2}(x,t)\rangle = e^{i \phi_2} | \nu_2(0,0) \rangle [/itex]

Where [itex] \phi_{1,2} = k_ix-E_it/ \hbar[/itex] where [itex] k_i= \sqrt{2m_iE/ \hbar^2} [/itex]

Homework Equations

Schrodinger Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This seems very simple, but I am missing a factor:

Solving the time independent schrodinger equation yields: [itex] | \nu_1 (0,0) \rangle = e^{-ikx} [/itex] where [itex] k= \sqrt{2mE/ \hbar^2} [/itex].

Tagging on time dependence yields: [itex] | \nu_1 (t) \rangle = e^{-ikx} e^{-iEt/ \hbar} [/itex]= [itex]e^{-iEt/ \hbar} | \nu_1 (0,0) \rangle [/itex].

So my question is: I tagged on the time dependence factor (from solving the time dependent s.e) and I got [itex]e^{-iEt/ \hbar} | \nu_1 (0,0) \rangle [/itex]. But the problem states after the neutrinos have propigated a distance x after a time t. But isn't the "distance x" tied up in [itex] | \nu_1 (0,0) \rangle = e^{-ikx} [/itex] ?
Why are the solutions of the form [itex] |{ \nu_1}(x,t)\rangle = e^{i (k_ix-E_it/ \hbar)} | \nu_1(0,0) \rangle [/itex] instead of just [itex] |{ \nu_1}(x,t)\rangle = e^{iE_it/ \hbar} | \nu_1(0,0) \rangle [/itex]?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
##| \nu_1(\color{red}{0},0) \rangle## has x=0, it does not depend on x.
You calculated ##| \nu_1(x,0) \rangle## which is something different.

1. What is neutrino oscillation?

Neutrino oscillation is a phenomenon in which neutrinos, which are subatomic particles with no charge and very small mass, change from one type to another as they travel through space.

2. Why is neutrino oscillation important?

Neutrino oscillation is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of neutrinos, which are one of the most abundant particles in the universe. It also has implications for fields such as astrophysics and particle physics.

3. How does neutrino oscillation occur?

Neutrino oscillation occurs due to a property called "flavor mixing." Neutrinos come in three different flavors - electron, muon, and tau - but as they travel, they can change from one flavor to another. This is due to the fact that neutrinos are created and detected as specific flavors, but they exist in a quantum state of all three flavors simultaneously.

4. What is "x" and "t" in the context of neutrino oscillation?

In the context of neutrino oscillation, "x" and "t" represent the distance and time traveled by the neutrino. These variables are important in calculating the probability of a neutrino changing its flavor as it travels.

5. How do scientists solve for x and t in neutrino oscillation?

Scientists use mathematical equations and data from experiments to solve for x and t in neutrino oscillation. These calculations involve parameters such as the neutrino's energy and mass, as well as the distance and time of its travel. Advanced techniques, such as Fourier analysis, are often used to analyze the oscillation patterns and extract information about the neutrino's properties.