Neutron Stars from White Dwarf Mergers: Under 1.4 SM?

In summary, there is a possibility that neutron stars can form from the merger of two White Dwarfs with a combined mass below the Chandrasekhar limit. This could provide insight into the formation of neutron stars and their possible evolution into white dwarfs. However, it is uncertain what the exact outcome of such a merger would be, as it may depend on the sudden addition of mass and the potential for new ways of achieving fusion. Further research is needed to fully understand the potential outcomes of these mergers.
AdamAutism1998
I think this could be a good chance that we see how neutron stars form from White Dwarf mergers. The combined mass of the two are less that than required for a type Ia Supernovae. Won't they merge and collapse into a neutron star? What does everyone else think might happen. I want to be sure if lesser massive degenerate mergers which total under 1.4 SM form neutron stars.

AdamAutism1998 said:
I think this could be a good chance that we see how neutron stars form from White Dwarf mergers. The combined mass of the two are less that than required for a type Ia Supernovae. Won't they merge and collapse into a neutron star? What does everyone else think might happen. I want to be sure if lesser massive degenerate mergers which total under 1.4 SM form neutron stars.

Hmmm... I honestly don't know what would happen. I'd guess that the sudden addition of mass would kickstart nuclear fusion and form a new star, not collapse into a neutron star. I'll have to look up more on this.

AdamAutism1998 said:
I think this could be a good chance that we see how neutron stars form from White Dwarf mergers. The combined mass of the two are less that than required for a type Ia Supernovae. Won't they merge and collapse into a neutron star?

If combined mass is below Chandrasekhar limit, the end result should be a white dwarf. It's quite likely merged star will have some new ways to achieve fusion, so it may take a while (a few million years?) before it settles into white dwarf state.

What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a dense, compact object that is formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and undergoes a supernova explosion. It is made up of tightly packed neutrons and has an incredibly strong gravitational pull.

How are neutron stars formed from white dwarf mergers?

When two white dwarf stars orbit each other, their gravitational pull causes them to spiral closer and closer together. Eventually, they merge and the resulting explosion creates a neutron star.

What is the mass limit for a neutron star?

The mass limit for a neutron star is 1.4 times the mass of our sun, also known as the Chandrasekhar limit. If a star has a mass greater than this, it will continue collapsing into a black hole.

What is the importance of studying neutron stars from white dwarf mergers?

Studying neutron stars from white dwarf mergers can give us insights into the formation and evolution of these objects, as well as the physics of extreme conditions. It can also help us better understand the processes that lead to the creation of heavy elements in the universe.

Can neutron stars from white dwarf mergers be detected?

Yes, neutron stars from white dwarf mergers can be detected through various methods, including gravitational wave detectors and telescopes that can observe the electromagnetic radiation emitted from these events.