New High Performance Ultra-wide Angle Lenses - Comments

In summary, this article discusses the development of ultra-wide angle lenses for cameras with 35 mm size sensors, as well as the potential for using multiple sensors to create a 360° image.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Andy Resnick submitted a new PF Insights post

New High Performance Ultra-wide Angle Lenses
cameralense.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes davenn and Greg Bernhardt
Computer science news on Phys.org
Andy Resnick said:
Andy Resnick submitted a new PF Insights post

nice write-up, Andy, thanks :)

my goto UW angle lens is my Samyang 14mm, f2.8

upload_2017-3-24_12-27-35.png
I have been quite pleased with it's quality considering its affordable ~ AU$360 price tag
particularly on wide angle astrophotography where pinpoint light sources from stars gives a good test

Likes Andy Resnick
Greg Bernhardt said:
Andy, curious if you have ideas on where lens technology goes from here?

Good question- although predicting the future is a fool's errand :) In general the trend is to larger apertures, reduced size/weight, decreased chromatic aberrations, and improved accutance. All of this is contingent on developments in optical materials- mainly glass- and the ability to grind aspheres. Incorporation of image stabilization is increasing as well. These developments all fall under "improved performance of existing lens designs".

Something more 'exotic' I'm interested in is 3-D PSF engineering. That is, rather than simply design improved performance in the focal plane, the entire PSF can be designed- at least that's what is claimed for the new Nikkor 58/1.4. It's an interesting idea.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Algr said:
I take it this article is only about cameras with 35 mm size sensors? Lenses with 180° already exist on devices that pair two of them to image 360° video.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ricoh-t...ffcode=pg174715&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

I didn't mean to implicitly discuss only 35mm-sized sensors; there are ultra-wide lenses for medium and large format sizes as well (the Super Angulon and Grandagon series of lenses, for example).

The Theta S and similar cameras (KeyMission 360, for example) use multiple sensors, and I also distinguished between fisheye lenses that have large distortion from rectilinear lenses, which do not. I focused on the development of new rectilinear ultrawide lenses.

Given that lens distortion can now be removed digitally, I wonder if it is better to do that then to use extra glass to make likes straight optically?

Funny thing. I was very chuffed with how well my Pentax 14mm lens performed but, on the other hand, I was disappointed that the pictures don't 'look' wide angle. It's almost as if I need to give them a digital nudge to get that wide angle effect. It's just the same as people who claim to like vinyl records. I guess.

BTW, good article, @Andy Resnick.

What are the benefits of using new high performance ultra-wide angle lenses?

New high performance ultra-wide angle lenses offer a wider field of view, allowing you to capture more of your surroundings in a single shot. They also have improved image quality, with less distortion and sharper edges. Additionally, these lenses have a faster aperture, allowing for better low light performance and the ability to create a shallow depth of field.

What makes these lenses "high performance"?

These lenses are considered high performance because they have been designed with advanced technology and materials to produce exceptional image quality. They often have aspherical elements, specialized coatings, and precision engineering to reduce aberrations and distortions, resulting in sharper and more accurate images.

Are these lenses compatible with all camera brands?

It depends on the specific lens and camera model. Most high performance ultra-wide angle lenses are designed for specific camera mounts, such as Canon or Nikon. However, there are some third-party manufacturers that offer lens options for multiple camera brands. It is important to check compatibility before purchasing a new lens.

Do these lenses have any limitations?

While new high performance ultra-wide angle lenses offer many benefits, they do have some limitations. Due to their wide field of view, they may produce some distortion, especially at the edges of the frame. They may also be more prone to lens flare and require more careful positioning to avoid unwanted light reflections in the image.

What types of photography are these lenses best suited for?

These lenses are ideal for landscapes, architecture, and interior photography, as they can capture a wider perspective and include more of the scene in a single shot. They can also be useful for creative and experimental photography, such as abstract or distorted perspectives. However, they may not be the best choice for portrait or macro photography, as the wide angle may distort facial features and make close-up shots difficult.