What are Joe's interests and goals as a new member and citizen scientist?

In summary, Joe's interests as a new member and citizen scientist include environmental conservation and sustainability, as well as learning and gaining experience in the field of scientific research. His goals are to contribute to ongoing projects and collaborate with other scientists, while also expanding his knowledge and skills in the scientific community. He is also motivated to use his expertise to make a positive impact on the environment and society as a whole. Overall, Joe is passionate about using his skills and interests to contribute to the scientific community and make a difference in the world.
Joseph Redfield
How did you find PF?
I was researching the topic of WiFi hertz wavelengths in relation to creating a bedroom environment that would allow me to sleep with minimal electromagnetic waves around. A Google search lead me to a forum thread about faraday cages.
My name is Joe,

I'm 36 years old and currently between work. I live in The city of Erie, Pennsylvania.

My interests are in the phields of electricity, physics, chemistry, and all engineering principles related. As I am only a high school graduate with no formal training, my education is self taught with strengths in concepts and development, and weaknesses in mathematics and computation. That said, I've noticed that to better understand the nature of energy both biological and nonbiological, it required connecting many interactions within not only our planetary environment but of the vast space of our universe.

I have only begun hands projects learning how to wire and guide the force we call electrical current. I'm particularly interested in the old masters of the late 1800 and early 1900's. Nikola Tesla, George Proteus Steinmetz, Sir Oliver Lodge, Michael Faraday, Thomas Edison, and those like them who used instinctual engineering to discover the awesome power of electric properties.

In the biological field, despite not being computational minded, I must be attracted to the discipline because of it's ability to clearly layout goals. And so I gravitate towards individuals like Professor Michael Levin of The Levin Laboratory at Tufts University. He and his colleagues are doing fascinating research in non-nueral bioelectricity, Collective Intelligence Models (specifically proto cell collectives), and Computational Software signals/fields at the cellular levels. Really mind opening work and would be interested in knowing how often those topics are discussed in a forum such as this one.

As for my own goals, I have a few projects I've begun at various stages of development. Most are still in the research phases but a few are moving into acquiring the materials and time to start setup of Prototypes, devices, and apparatuses. I will be sharing those ideas here and as far as patent protection, I really only want to keep one or two ideas close to the chest in terms of actual build details. All other ideas I hope to contribute in the spirit of benefit to not only the scientific community but the whole species as well.

Finally, I am an individual who's thinking and problem solving has grown because of the use of public education platforms who introduce these scientific concepts I have mentioned. I've read and scanned many Wikipedia articles, watched many armchair YouTubers, joined many Ted Talk Conferences, and even used intro level education tools like Kahn Academy. Project Gutenberg provided me many hours of fascinating research into the guilded age of electrical engineering and alchemy.

I use the word Alchemy now with less concern about it being viewed as fantasy magic and science, because I recently heard Professor Michael Levin clearly define what an alchemist is as compared to a chemist/scientist. He said a long these lines, " that an alchemist doesn't just change the interaction of the substance he or she works with, such as the chemist does, but in order to truly understand the functionality of the system at play, chooses to become part of that system in some form, action, or idea of somekind. As you preform science, your physical and mental make up evolves with each experience and experiment."

Pretty profound and I can't remember hearing the idea put like that in combination with his background in computational engineering. It always seemed like those two things were separate whenever I researched these ideas.

I'm spiritually interested in observation, but economically learning to compartmentalize church and state and monetary function of micro and macro markets. I'm a baptized and confirmed Catholic, but have considered myself a neo-pagan of lately, however those to things are allowed to co-exist, I'm sure I don't know but there it is. I like the feeling eastern Buddhist teachings give off and despite dropping away from darker philosophies like satanism and cult like practices, I still watch horror movies and have an energetic drawing to the dark side of the force after all these years.

Plenty of other personal information, but mostly I'm focused on getting down to work on engineering my ideas into reality.

Thanks for opening the doors to me into your forum.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Joseph Redfield said:
[My name is Joe,

Hi Joe, and Welcome to PF. :smile:

Did you see the Private Message (PM) that I sent you yesterday afternoon with a question? Please try to respond today or tomorrow when you have a chance. Many thanks. :smile: