Which Major Best Supports a Career in Quantum Computing and AI?

In summary, the conversation is about a student in university who wants to double major in Computer Engineering and Physics or Mathematics in order to work on quantum computers and advanced AI. One person recommends majoring in Physics and Electrical Engineering for a focus on hardware, while another suggests a combination of Computer Engineering and Math for programming. The discussion also touches on the role of Computer Science in Quantum Computing and the importance of seeking advice from researchers in the field.
Jpmcke
Hey all, I'm a student in university who wants to Double Major in Computer Engineering and Physics or Mathematics. Ideally I want to get some time in working on quantum computers and some time in working on advanced AI, so one of the big things I want to do is pick the community's brain on whether CE + Phys or CE + Math major is best for these ambitions.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all welcome! I plan on getting into QC in the future as well! Your question depends on what you want to do IN Quantum Computing. Personally, I want to get in on the hardware side so it's been recommended to try and Major in Physics and Electrical Engineering.

If you want to get into programming them, you'd probably want to get more involved on the mathematics side, along with Physics.

Likes Jpmcke
Kyle Bernard said:
First of all welcome! I plan on getting into QC in the future as well! Your question depends on what you want to do IN Quantum Computing. Personally, I want to get in on the hardware side so it's been recommended to try and Major in Physics and Electrical Engineering.

If you want to get into programming them, you'd probably want to get more involved on the mathematics side, along with Physics.

Thanks for the reply, I'm trying to understand your advice. Physics + Electrical Engineering I see as covering your electronic plus your "Quantum" knowledge which does make sense for making the hardware. I don't 100% understand the mathematics + physics, certainly you can learn to code on your own, but these are the most non-linear processors we've ever made, with presumably not any mature sdks available (although I think Microsoft is working on Visual Studio for Quantum Computers) shouldn't you take Computer Science? Or are so many of the old conventions of CS obsolete under these circumstances Physics + Mathematics outweigh it completely because of the underlying knowledge you'll gain and the advanced math that will help you make the algorithms you'll need to program non-linearly?

And on the side of following your advice for QC whilst also trying to get in some AI, couldn't I go through CE + Math thereby having some electrical engineering which I could mature at the graduate level if necessary and be able to use applied mathematics for the physics work, or converting it into physics at the graduate level?

I understand your thinking there. Most that I have spoken with have said that Quantum Computing in NO WAY = Computer Science. It's a completely different world.

Sure Microsoft is developing their SDK, and IBM has their own as well it seems (I'm sure most places developing are working on their own), but from what I understand most of the basic computer science needs are actually a part of most Physics program curriculum (Usually some sort of C, and MatLab courses). Programming a quantum computer is much more mathematics and quantum physics heavy than CS heavy. I would take everything I'm saying with a grain of salt though, as I'm not really in the industry, just looking to get started at school to get into it. Try emailing researchers are some labs doing what you want to do and get their input as well!

Kyle Bernard said:
I understand your thinking there. Most that I have spoken with have said that Quantum Computing in NO WAY = Computer Science. It's a completely different world.

Sure Microsoft is developing their SDK, and IBM has their own as well it seems (I'm sure most places developing are working on their own), but from what I understand most of the basic computer science needs are actually a part of most Physics program curriculum (Usually some sort of C, and MatLab courses). Programming a quantum computer is much more mathematics and quantum physics heavy than CS heavy.I would take everything I'm saying with a grain of salt though, as I'm not really in the industry, just looking to get started at school to get into it. Try emailing researchers are some labs doing what you want to do and get their input as well!

Alright, I'll try sending out some emails then.

1. What is quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a type of computing that uses principles of quantum mechanics such as superposition and entanglement to perform operations on data. It has the potential to solve complex problems much faster than classical computers.

2. What is the difference between quantum computing and AI?

Quantum computing focuses on processing and manipulating data using quantum principles, while AI (artificial intelligence) refers to the ability of machines to perform tasks that typically require human intelligence, such as problem-solving and decision-making.

3. How is quantum computing being used in AI?

Quantum computing can provide new tools and algorithms for AI, allowing for more efficient and accurate processing of large data sets. It can also help in developing advanced AI systems, such as quantum neural networks, that can handle more complex tasks.

4. What are the potential applications of quantum computing and AI?

The combination of quantum computing and AI has the potential to revolutionize various industries, such as finance, healthcare, and transportation. It can also lead to advancements in fields like drug discovery, weather forecasting, and cybersecurity.

5. Is quantum computing accessible to everyone?

Currently, quantum computing is still in its early stages and is primarily being developed and used by researchers and large organizations. However, with advancements in technology, it is becoming more accessible, and there are efforts to make it more user-friendly for a wider range of users.