How Can I Start Learning Computer Engineering While in Jail?

• Thread starter Kris_with_a_k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary: Prisoner. In summary, Kris plans to use her six-month jail sentence to get a head start in a specific field of engineering. She is currently unable to access a computer, so she is going to use the time to read a variety of materials that will help her learn more about the subject. Kris recommends that the reader start with basic algebra and then move on to calculus if they want to learn more about programming.
Kris_with_a_k
Hello All, I'm Kris. So I need your guys help. I have to spend 6 months in jail because of a protective order violation :( - Facebook conversation with my ex. Anyway, I plan to use this time to its FULLEST, and get a kind of "primer" or head start. I've always wanted to get a degree some kind of engineering area. I always used to play with lego's when i was young (im 32 now). I plan on ordering as many books as I am allowed to have. My main interest is in Compter Engineering. I have NO idea where to even begin, so I am here to ask for help on where to begin. What can I get my hands on that will help me learn, or get me headed in a direction.

Thanks
Kris

Likes mrnike992
Physics news on Phys.org
Please tell us in detail what math, physics or programming knowledge you have.

Welcome to PF!

If you want to learn about programming then one place to start is with the Processing application:

www.processing.org

It is very easy to use and comes with many examples. The focus is on learning programming through drawing pictures.

It will require you to be comfortable with some level of high school algebra or beyond.

Khan's Academy is a good resource for math and computer science videos to get you started:

https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming

Likes gjonesy
Micromass. I really don't have anything outside High School.

Well if you can read jedishrfu has an excellent idea, I been playing on the Khan academy website and I actually had some fun. Refreshed some old HTML and CSS tagging language I forgot I use to play around with.

Well, in my introduction i mentioned i had to do 6 months in jail. So this reading is what I am going to do in there, so i won't have access to a computer.

You will need calculus for any engineering degree, and the best calculus textbook I can recommend you is Leithold's The Calculus 7.

MexChemE said:
You will need calculus for any engineering degree, and the best calculus textbook I can recommend you is Leithold's The Calculus 7.

If they OP hasn't done any math since high school, then they should start off with basic algebra first.

Likes CalcNerd
Kris_with_a_k said:
Well, in my introduction i mentioned i had to do 6 months in jail. So this reading is what I am going to do in there, so i won't have access to a computer.

Of course you can read, and write, that was an attempt at motivation. You aren't in the cooler yet, you obviously have access at least for the moment to a computer NOW, and Khan academy is a great place to start learning some basic computer language. Get to it in the here and now do what you can, learn and take notes. Then get some beginners how to books, some introductory textbooks, Maybe some of those simple guides. I refreshed on a lot of things that I had forgotten I used to do as a hobby building websites. Its a good place to start to grow your knowledge.Note: I ran through the HTML and CSS part of the lessons in less than an hour. Of course I had some back ground but that was at least 15+ years ago. But if I can you can.

At 32 and being out of school for a decade (and zero exposure to higher vocational or college education) will mean that you should probably have a plan A and a Plan B (and a Plan C). Plan A, prep for community college program in Associate Engineering or Associate Computer studies (which can lead directly to university).
Plan B, while preparing for Plan A, also acquire some Vocational education books (these are often written with a more hands on approach with less theory and are more easily read).
Concentrate on the stuff you like and feel best learning from. If you find that you are spending the most time with the college curriculum, you would be well on your way with Plan A. However, test yourself with practice CLEP exams or other types of third party exams to determine if you are really learning or just going through the motions.
If you find the Vocational books more appealing ie you are a technical type who likes to work directly with the equipment, you will quickly discover that too.
Plan C is to explore other areas as well. You have been out of the academic world for over a decade and might consider something completely new. Check with a job consular that will likely be available to you as well.

Likes okantomi
well to be honest. I did learn C++. I bought C++ primer plus and learned it on paper and pencil before i even tried to promgram with a computer. (my way of learning), I also did a year of Applied Science and Computer Engineering Technology at ITT tech in 2011. The reason I never did any college in my 20's is because I always had a good paying job. But I really just want to get into what I love doing, and that's some form of engineering and computers.

Also, thankyou guys for all your help and acceptance. I was very worried that once I mentioned jail, your attitude towards me would be negative. Oh and I would like to share my book colletion so farhttps://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/11044548_10202935008331180_4498565517017776044_o.jpg https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xal1/t31.0-8/10835332_10202944264842587_3913021954203997712_o.jpg

learning calculus won't happen without solid algebra knowledge.

I recommend you purchase:
1. Schaums outlines of college algebra (its really good for basics and loads of practice questions)
2. Schaums outlines of calculus.

And other books for calculus which others an recommend.

1. How do I navigate the forum?

To navigate the forum, you can use the menu bar at the top of the page or the search bar to find specific topics. You can also click on different categories or sub-forums to browse through different discussions.

2. How can I ask for help on the forum?

To ask for help on the forum, you can create a new post by clicking on the "New Topic" button in the appropriate category. Make sure to provide a clear and specific title and include all relevant information in your post to help others understand your question.

3. Can I reply to other users' posts?

Yes, you can reply to other users' posts by clicking on the "Reply" button on the bottom of their post. This allows you to provide your input or answer their question directly.

4. How can I search for previous discussions on a topic?

You can use the search bar at the top of the page to search for keywords related to your topic. This will bring up any previous discussions that have been tagged with those keywords.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting on the forum?

Yes, there are usually community guidelines or rules for posting on the forum. Make sure to read these guidelines before posting to ensure that your post follows the forum's standards and does not violate any rules.