New Way of Particle Accelerating?

In summary: The Quantum Zeno effect only affects the probability of the state being observed, not the probability of the state itself. So it would not increase the chance for particles to decay.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a magnetic field to control the direction of emitted electrons from radioactive substances in order to increase efficiency and observe high-speed particle collisions. However, it is not possible to properly focus radioactive decay products due to their random initial motion. The use of the Quantum Zeno effect to increase the chance of particle decay is also not possible, as it only affects the probability of the state being observed, not the probability of the state itself.
BenjaminLovesQM
Question 1:
Current particle accelerators are only able to speed up particles up to around 0.16c. However, in nuclear reactors, radioactive nuclei release subatomic particles, i.e. electrons, at more than 0.75c. To increase efficiency and perhaps to observe how particles collide at high speeds, would it be possible to use a magnetic field to control the direction of the emitted electrons by radioactive substances? Where we put two identical radioactive particles in the particle accelerator (i.e. Ra-228), such that the half lives are equal. When they emit radiation, can we alter their random emission direction by applying a magnetic field, so that the particles collide?Question 2:
To ensure a higher chance of radiation emission, can we use the Quantum Zeno effect, to increase the chance for which particles decay?

Physics news on Phys.org
BenjaminLovesQM said:
Current particle accelerators are only able to speed up particles up to around 0.16c.
This is not correct. LHC protons travel very close to the speed of light with ##c-v \simeq m^2c^5/(2E^2)##. This is slightly more than 1 m/s or ##4.5\cdot 10^{-9}c##.

Oh ok, sorry for the wrong info. But I'd like to ask: would the method work? Thanks!

Orodruin said:
This is slightly more than 1 m/s or 4.5⋅10−9c4.5\cdot 10^{-9}c.
...less than ##c##? (i.e. ##v \approx c - 1~\rm{m/s}##)

jtbell said:
...less than ##c##? (i.e. ##v \approx c - 1~\rm{m/s}##)
Well, the quantity I quoted was ##c-v## so if that is positive ##v < c##. Alternatively, ##v \simeq 0.999999995c##.

D'oh... the connection slipped past me there. :oops:

Right, so would this method work? Driven by curiosity...

BenjaminLovesQM said:
Right, so would this method work? Driven by curiosity...

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, because the issue has been rather obvious.

We steer charge particles using magnetic field. That is why there is such a thing as "bending magnets". It is what we used to steer and control the direction of particles in accelerators. In fact, we use magnets of different configurations to bend, focus, steer, etc... these particles.

So I don't know exactly if this is what you didn't know before, or if I'm missing something else.

And BTW, "waiting" for particles to be emitted is a very inefficient way to have a particle source for particle accelerators. Also note that for electrons, it takes almost no effort to get it close, VERY close, to "c". All the physics that we use to model particle beams simply uses "c" as the speed of electrons once it achieves MeV energy scale. This is easily achieved just from electrons coming out of a photoinjector already without having them pass through any additional accelerating structures.

Zz.

BenjaminLovesQM said:
would it be possible to use a magnetic field to control the direction of the emitted electrons by radioactive substances?
You cannot. You can change their direction once they got emitted, but you cannot properly focus radioactive decay products due to their random initial motion.

While it is possible to have decay products from two sources collide, the probability is utterly negligible. You would probably have to wait for years to accumulate a few collisions, something particle accelerators can deliver in seconds (at much higher collision energies).
BenjaminLovesQM said:
To ensure a higher chance of radiation emission, can we use the Quantum Zeno effect, to increase the chance for which particles decay?
You cannot.

What is a "New Way of Particle Accelerating"?

A "New Way of Particle Accelerating" refers to a novel method or technique that has been developed to accelerate particles, such as protons or electrons, to high energies in a controlled environment. This allows scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the interactions between them.

How is this new method different from traditional particle accelerators?

This new method differs from traditional particle accelerators in several ways. It may use different types of technology, such as laser beams or plasma, to accelerate particles. It may also be more efficient and cost-effective, allowing for higher energies to be achieved in a smaller space. Additionally, it may be able to accelerate particles to higher speeds and energies than traditional methods.

What are the potential applications of this new technology?

The potential applications of this new technology are vast and diverse. It can be used in fundamental research to study the inner workings of matter and the universe. It can also have practical applications in fields such as medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in energy production and environmental remediation.

What are the challenges associated with this new method of particle accelerating?

As with any new technology, there are challenges that need to be addressed. These may include technical difficulties in creating and maintaining the necessary conditions for particle acceleration, as well as safety concerns and potential environmental impacts. There may also be ethical considerations to take into account.

What is the current state of research and development for this new method?

The research and development for this new method of particle accelerating is ongoing and constantly evolving. Scientists are continuously working to improve and refine the technology, as well as exploring new applications and potential breakthroughs. While there have been promising developments, there is still much to be discovered and achieved in this field.