Orbit decay of particles w/ synchrotron radiation?

In summary, during a conversation about a particle with relativistic energies interacting with a magnetic field and emitting synchrotron radiation, the question of whether there is a change of orbit associated with the energy decrease was raised. The person also mentioned the Lorentz force equation.
Cibo Matto
Hello everyone!

I had a question about a particle (say a proton) with relativistic energies interacts with a magnetic field (in the z direction). As it is accelerates the particle emits synchrotron radiation. Naturally I assume that this emission of photons reduces the particle's energy. My question is as the energy decreases is there a change of orbit (orbit decay) associated with the emission of synchrotron radiation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cibo Matto said:
Hello everyone!

I had a question about a particle (say a proton) with relativistic energies interacts with a magnetic field (in the z direction). As it is accelerates the particle emits synchrotron radiation. Naturally I assume that this emission of photons reduces the particle's energy. My question is as the energy decreases is there a change of orbit (orbit decay) associated with the emission of synchrotron radiation?

Welcome to the PF.

Are you familiar with the equation for the Lorentz force? :smile:

1. What is orbit decay?

Orbit decay is a phenomenon that occurs when a charged particle, such as an electron, loses energy and its orbit around a central point becomes smaller and smaller.

2. How does synchrotron radiation contribute to orbit decay?

Synchrotron radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted when charged particles are accelerated in a curved path. This radiation carries away energy from the particles, causing them to lose energy and their orbits to decay.

3. Can orbit decay be observed in real-life situations?

Yes, orbit decay can be observed in various situations, such as in particle accelerators where charged particles are accelerated to high speeds and emit synchrotron radiation, and in natural phenomena like the decay of Earth's Van Allen radiation belts.

4. What are the consequences of orbit decay?

The consequences of orbit decay can vary depending on the situation. In particle accelerators, it can affect the performance of the accelerator and the precision of particle collisions. In space, it can cause spacecraft to lose their desired orbits and interfere with satellite communication.

5. Can orbit decay be prevented or controlled?

Orbit decay can be controlled to some extent by adjusting the energy and trajectory of the charged particles as well as the strength of the magnetic fields that contain them. However, it cannot be completely prevented due to the nature of synchrotron radiation and its role in the decay process.