Newton's Law of Cooling (diff eq. - seperation of variables)

In summary: Therefore, the correct equation for k would be -1 = k(65-25), which gives k = -0.025. In summary, the problem involves finding the constant k in Newton's Law of Cooling, which models the temperature of coffee as it cools in a room. Using the given information and knowledge of the rate of cooling, we can calculate k to be -0.025. The second part of the problem involves using Euler's method to estimate the temperature of the coffee after five minutes, given a step size of one minute.
brusier
Newton's Law of Cooling (diff eq. -- separation of variables)

Homework Statement

Fresh coffee sitting in a room cooling...you know the routine.
Anyhow T(0) = 90degreesCelcius.
Room temp=25degrees Celcius

find k.
Then he asks us to use Euler's method to estimate coffee temp after five mins. (using step size h=1).

Homework Equations

T(t) satisfies the equation: dT/dt=k(T-Troom).
we know that at T=65 degrees (for coffee) dT/dt (or the rate of cooling, as the problem states)= 1 degree per minute

The Attempt at a Solution

Well thought hey look here the ole plug and chug MAY work, let's see...:
1=k(65-25) brings k=.025. but then I thought, hey for the crap to cool k needs to be negative (this is the only way the limit as t tends to infinity for e^(kt) to tend to 0). So this can't be the appropriate way of going about this. So, without thinking (again) I integrated to see if that would bring about new light. I got

T=65e^(kt)+25.

No real help even if the integration is right because I'm missing a value for t to help me solve for k. So I'm a little stuck here.

I'm confused even more in that the blank where the answer to the second part goes, the Euler's method answer, has a blank that reads T(10)=____________. But I know (thought) the question asked for T(5). Am I missing somthing here?? Thank you, Ian.

Physics news on Phys.org

brusier said:

Homework Statement

Fresh coffee sitting in a room cooling...you know the routine.
Anyhow T(0) = 90degreesCelcius.
Room temp=25degrees Celcius

find k.
Then he asks us to use Euler's method to estimate coffee temp after five mins. (using step size h=1).

Homework Equations

T(t) satisfies the equation: dT/dt=k(T-Troom).
we know that at T=65 degrees (for coffee) dT/dt (or the rate of cooling, as the problem states)= 1 degree per minute

The Attempt at a Solution

Well thought hey look here the ole plug and chug MAY work, let's see...:
1=k(65-25) brings k=.025.

Since the temperature is decreasing 1 degree per minute, that means T' = -1, not +1.

Related to Newton's Law of Cooling (diff eq. - seperation of variables)

1. What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a mathematical equation used to describe the rate at which an object cools down or heats up when it is in contact with a surrounding medium of a different temperature. It is based on the principle that the rate of temperature change of an object is proportional to the difference in temperature between the object and its surroundings.

2. How is Newton's Law of Cooling derived?

Newton's Law of Cooling is derived from the differential equation dy/dt = -k(T-Ts), where dy/dt represents the rate of change of temperature, k is the cooling constant, T is the temperature of the object, and Ts is the temperature of the surrounding medium.

3. What is the significance of the cooling constant (k) in Newton's Law of Cooling?

The cooling constant (k) represents the efficiency of the cooling process and is influenced by factors such as the material of the object, its surface area, and the properties of the surrounding medium. A higher value of k indicates a faster rate of cooling and vice versa.

4. Can Newton's Law of Cooling be used to predict the temperature of an object at a certain time?

Yes, Newton's Law of Cooling can be used to predict the temperature of an object at any given time using the equation T(t) = Ts + (T0 - Ts)e^(-kt), where T(t) is the temperature at time t, Ts is the temperature of the surrounding medium, T0 is the initial temperature of the object, and k is the cooling constant.

5. How is the method of separation of variables used in solving Newton's Law of Cooling?

The method of separation of variables is used to solve the differential equation of Newton's Law of Cooling. This method involves separating the variables (T and t) to opposite sides of the equation and then integrating both sides to obtain an equation that can be solved for the temperature at a specific time.